My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Added an iPad mount to my dash. It's a Ram Mount with a surface mount. Suction cup mounts are OK but it puts the iPad farther away, they aren't as stable and I can't use my sun shade with it stuck to the window. Only the surface mount ball is permanently in place- the arm and iPad holder get removed between trips.

EC6B2CE9-5BAB-45B4-B968-75847620FC2D.jpg

Also just got back from a 2200 mile trip to a resort near Benton, KY. Truck did fine. Stopped in Uranus, MO on the way back.
80E22813-6C5A-4D55-B2A9-F1F4BA7C6DAA.jpg

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
More pics of Ipad mount please

Here's the surface mount:
C7E61B6C-63D6-4D31-B988-B35A535ECEED.jpg

Take a look at the Ram Mount website for more detailed pictures of the mount and arm- they have several different styles. Someone gave me this one.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A guy at work drive this Excursion:
Excursion%20vs%20Expedition.jpg

Just when I think my Expedition is big, I go and park next to him like this. This much lift, IMO, is too much. Plus it's impossible to get this much lift on an Expedition and keep the torsion bars.

If I do lift, my end goal is to still be able to park in my garage. And there's not a lot of room above the roof rack now. I haven't measured it yet (just moved into new house) but there might be 2-3 inches available.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Replaced all of my steering components today- finally. Over a month ago I noticed some excessive play in the steering with a wheel in the air. And then while driving it would get the shakes. I ordered the parts and they've been sitting due to lack of time (moving into new house and KY road trip).

New parts are in. For the tie rods I also got new adjuster sleeves- not because mine were bad but because I couldn't get the tie rods out of the others.

The pitman arm was a PITA- not much room for the puller. I ended up removing all of the bolts that hold the steering box to the frame so the box could be manipulated enough to get access for the puller.

Once all back together the excessive play is gone! My steering wheel isn't quite straight but it seems to track ok. I'll get an alignment soon. And steering response seems really good now- but maybe I've got some toe out now..... who knows.

No pictures. It was a pretty messy install- lots of grime up there.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the Door Seal Mod I found on ford-trucks.com to the front 2 doors:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/593740-doing-the-door-seal-mod-on-the-ex.html
The rear 2 doors and the hatch are yet to come.

WD-40 brand silicone spray worked pretty well for this. Definitely not a single person job- I had my 10 year old help me.

I haven't actually driven it yet but the doors shut much tighter- much more solid. I did notice that at the upper rear corners of the door, the tubing was pulled tight and therefore wasn't making great contact with the seal on the door when it closed. It took some massaging to work some slack into the area, but I think I got a pretty good fit. And I bet over time it'll work the rest of the tension out by itself.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oh and I got an alignment after the steering work. Prior to the alignment it was VERY responsive above 45 mph. Pretty sure I had some toe out going on.

And the pre-alignment readout confirmed the toe out. Now it's all back within spec and it drives nice and normal now.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Like many 10th gen F-150s and 1st gen Expedition owners, I've had issues with my odometer not always displaying. After watching a YouTube video or 2, I took the instrument cluster out and soldered the circuit board where the problem is supposed to be. I may have seen a crack in the solder joint but it was pretty small. My odometer would go for a long time working just fine and only be out for a short period so this repair will take awhile to show up as fixed.

BAEF0FB7-4920-434A-8141-D91552E45DC2.jpg
6D789E90-456F-4207-910B-A7B92957F654.jpg

I didn't get any pictures of the process or with the circuit board out- there's a bunch of videos on how to do it.