My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

houlster

Reaction score
If your plug shot out then it probably stripped the threads in the head. You'll need a helicoil to fix it. It's a fairly common problem actually.

I had something similar happen in the middle of a road trip, but thankfully, the plug actually failed. The center porcelin part shot out of the threaded portion.

IMAG1910.jpg

The fig newton is a bit of a joke. The center electrode of the plug had stayed behind. Stuck between the 'nut' of the plug and the sidewall of the hole. It's not magnetic & I couldn't get it out. I told my wife I need gum or grease of some sort to stick on the end of a screw driver. She suggested the fig newton. Worked beautifully. Now anytime *anything* needs fixing, she asks if a figgy will help? :)

poorboy1964

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom Great thread, I've read a few of your posts on the Explorer forum while I've been deciding on what to buy made my mind up Expedition a few weeks ago Still in search of the right one, great info and similar to what my goal will be other than maybe more off road as it won't be my DD

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Went Christmas tree hunting today. We got a nice Douglas Fir:
82758D2D-B7E9-4113-80FC-A1369D2A21B9.jpg

I had to cut a section off to fit it on the roof. That platform rack is nice.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just did Littleton, CO to Alexandria, LA and back. 2300 miles. Saw low 15 mpgs to high 10 mpgs (tail wind vs head wind). Truck did fine.

EEA97F61-478A-4884-AFF6-02ABC100CB10.jpg

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I changed out the radiator today. The radiator itself was a FoMoCo radiator- not sure if original or a replacement.

I had been smelling coolant for awhile but never found a leak. With the upper air diverter in place, I couldn't see the small leak on both sides where the fins meet the end tank.
BCAAF9CB-2E26-4F15-A1E5-69D8487224FC.jpg

I got the replacement at Advance Auto. It was listed as a "Car Quest" radiator but the box said Premier1. Made in China. Roughly $200 before using Speed Perks and a discount code that drove the price down to about $140. Seems like a good quality replacement. Also replaced the lower radiator hose. I watched a few videos on how difficult it is to remove so I figured it was smart to replace it while I was in there.

I also cleaned out the expansion bottle. There was some nasty sediment in there. There was also a bunch of sediment in the radiator.

After I was done, I took apart the old radiator and found the transmission cooler. I got to say, I'm not impressed.
27CCFE00-727C-468C-8BD8-2B3D7E27FBED.jpg

Getting the 6.0L diesel cooler (which is about as wide as the radiator) seems like a smarter deal all the time.