My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poorboy1964

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hate power flushing but i wonder if you have a blockage or restriction somewhere? Maybe a slight kink in a line? sucks I'm not sure where I'd go from here

Russ Vance

Reaction score
Whew! I just finished reading your entire thread, and I am impressed with all you have poured into your truck, both time and money. I just picked mine up last weekend, so I've mostly worked on cleaning out dog hair and trying to minimize the smell of wet dog/cigarette smoke...not a great combo I must say. Mechanically, she's pretty sound, although my muffler looks a lot like yours before you bought the clamp, so that will be my first priority. I did the cd changer delete today. Also the rear window driver's side hinge was missing the gasket that goes between the hinge and the glass, so every bump caused a loud rattle. I tried to find one online but apparently hen's teeth are much more common, so I dug into my fly tying materials and found a piece of black closed cell foam the right thickness and made my own gasket...no more rattle!

Unfortunately for me, unlike Colorado, Iowa seems to have a never ending supply of salt, which is liberally applied to our roads, so my rocker panels are crap. That will be my summer project. Otherwise, I'm in pretty good shape mechanically. The interior, while relatively filthy, isn't too bad except for the redneck repair job to the dash/radio surround. Apparently while installing an aftermarket stereo, some nimrod pried the plastic off and wrecked the tabs that hold it on. They had an easy solution though...drywall screws! Well, the plastic does stay put and doesn't rattle. The exposed screw heads and cracks in the dash they created don't do much for me though. May have to pay the local wrecking yards a visit one of these days.

Anyway, I wanted to compliment you on all the upgrades to your Expedition and especially on documenting them so well here.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks! I occasionally read through it as well and remember a few things or what I was thinking at the time.

Since yours in from Iowa, you should also take a look at the rear trailing arms. Those are known rust magnets- even mine are looking a little rusty and are on the radar for replacement, especially since mine may go offroad. You can get OE-type replacements (stamped steel) or tubular ones (I've seen 2 options: expensive from PMT and reasonable on Amazon).

That's too bad about the screws in the dash. My local wrecking yard has a nice selection of 1st gens.

Russ Vance

Reaction score
I'll check those out. Thanks. I haven't checked out our yards yet. I'm pretty sure I'll need to replace the running boards in addition to the rocker panels, but finding some that aren't just as rusty as mine around here might be a challenge. The plastic stuff might be easier. Rust is a constant issue here. I have had good luck with most of my vehicles by simply washing off the salt any time we get a warm enough day here. It costs $7 to run through the car wash at Fleet Farm that blasts the underside as well as the top. For me, that's cheap insurance. Apparently the previous owner of my Expy was more concerned with the top side, although the frame looks surprisingly decent.

D_L_Masterson

Reaction score
I used a Magic Eraser and water. You can find them in the cleaning supply aisle at your grocery store. Then I hit everything with some leather conditioner.

Best I found as a detailor and cheap. Warm water with Dawn and a 00 steel wool. Looks brand new in minutes. Just my 6 cents lol.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I added some LED strip lights under the hood.
73A5165B-42D9-4D2B-8D69-6F4F2DF03E4B.jpg
C7796E39-5839-4386-84EA-946A7621B69B.jpg

Super bright. I'm a little concerned about how well the provided foam double sided sticky tape will hold up to the heat being located right above the radiator. I guess time will tell.

But I need to figure out a switch. I thought I was being smart by tapping into the power for the factory underhood light- but the strip lights remained on with the hood shut. I didn't notice until I was shutting the hood that the factory light flickers as the hood is closed and I figured there must be a position (angle) based switch in the light housing.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just finished up the Daniel Stern headlight rewire.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

It works! It's not dark enough to try them out. I know someone that also did it and says his lights are really bright. I'm glad all the wiring is hidden underneath that removeable plastic piece above the radiator.

I bought the relay kit back in October and finally got around to doing it.

ams2737

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pics of this most recent mod would be great. I've been following this thread since you first started it. Keep up the great work.