My 2000 5.4l Eddie Bauer 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finished my wrench fest.

What an epic adventure that was.

The Dorman intake swap itself was actually pretty easy. The intake was cracked near the coolant crossover tube which was causing my coolant leak. Apparently a fairly common place to crack.

1855E798-1D60-4B0A-B47B-19B034CCECE1.jpg
6240BFC9-6C4D-4EC7-95AE-E7E147A8B281.jpg

While the intake was off, I pulled the valve covers off. The captive fasteners are a nice touch. I pressure washed the covers and installed new gaskets with some RTV to help hold them in place.

The new intake went on nice and easy. The intake comes with coarse threaded screws to replace most of the fasteners that go into it. Nice in a way because it takes fewer turns to get it tight. Make sure to put the PVC o-ring on the elbow before you install it!

Here's where the fun started.

I also changed the oil. Getting the oil filter off was a serious PITA. It's a good thing I have one of those wrenches that fits over the end of the filter. I put the new filter on and filled the crankcase with fresh oil. When I started the motor, oil was gushing onto the floor.

Crap.

My first thought was since I changed the valve covers, maybe I didn't get it seated all the way and there was a leak. But that was a LOT of oil. I took a look at the old filter and noticed that the gasket wasn't on it. Uh oh. Took the new filter off and sure enough, there was the old gasket.

Oil is everywhere. All over the engine bay and all over the floor.

And in the few seconds the motor was running, it was running like crap.

Fill it up with oil and fire it up again. No leaks. At least that's progress. Still running like crap. Threw a code for #7 misfire. Pulled the coil, swapped the boot and spring. Still misfired. Swap coils with #5. Still misfiring on #7.

Wait a minute. During the valve cover swap, I took apart the main wiring harness connector and didn't tighten the bolt that holds it together. Tightened it up and it definitely drew it together some more. Fired it up and still running crappy. But no more #7 misfire!

I could hear sucking coming from around the DPFE/EGR/EGV. Got a code for excessive EGR flow. Started researching that. Thought it was weird to have any one of them fail at this time. Just because of all this work. I wasnt happy with the vacuum line routing to the FPR- it went right across the EGR pipe. I didn't remember how it was routed before. Went back out and that vacuum line was melted and in 2 pieces.

Crap. Guess I'm going to the junkyard to get a new vacuum line.

While driving there, I had an idea. I wasn't happy with the routing and it melted because I had the EGR and FPR swapped.

Got a "new" EGR vacuum line from a '98 Expedition. I don't think its the same but it works.

Got home, installed the new vacuum line and swapped the other line over to the FPR. Wouldn't you know it, the lines seemed to fit better. Fired up the motor and it ran fine.

Success!

Last edited:
OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Driving impressions after the intake swap:

While I did not get a side-by-side comparison pic of the OEM intake and the Doorman, they are definitely different. The Doorman is significantly less bulky. The intake runners seem shorter and don't have what appears to be a resonance chamber underneath. I figured this would translate into more torque or something.

So far it drives like normal.

While watching the Scangauge, I seem to be down a little on the MPGs. But it could be because I reset the ECU/PCM. I'll keep an eye on it.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I missed this one. When my Expedition was parked in the garage for over a week, I installed the Rancho RS5000 shocks. They defintely help to control the ride.

E227397B-43F0-4618-8AEE-E3479F414395.jpg
37B5223B-1C72-4667-9E68-9C6118A88C41.jpg

Installation is certainly made easier with an impact gun. And a bunch of extensions.

Also painted the rear rotors black. Since the "hat" of the rear rotors is large they show more through the wheels. And they were looking pretty rusty.
9DFDAC0D-9FD9-4830-8A10-2C62C0A0A3E1.jpg
5EA37F81-879B-41E2-AEDB-0D35A47ABF27.jpg

Also rotated the tires front to back.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So this is a picture of my coolant flush. The first bottle is clear. The next bottles are all from the initial drain. And then they progress along as I flushed. Still wasn't happy with how clean the water was but I was out of containers.

932BA95E-9208-427E-9678-03E8F2CA3CD6.jpg

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've noticed that all 1st gen hitches are all rusty and look gross. Mine was no different. I spent some time on it with a wire brush attachment on my drill to remove and bunch of the rust.

16E4EC51-DC63-4951-AA64-7C5A0AC6AAF2.jpg
C9C4B245-11E7-4DE6-B3B5-5AB7E60172F3.jpg

I masked it off quick with some newspaper and hit it with some rattle can bedliner. Not a very good pic, but you get the idea:
E4501093-7553-40AA-A6F6-C1C0A40E7FD5.jpg

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
good job on the tow hitch. Been thinking of getting it powdercoated. Once-and-done type of deal. but I should at least repaint mine but Im lazy to pull it down. Right now I get by by wiping it with tire dressing after a wash

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to drop mine and clean it up. After the bigger tires it's really just hanging there and being ugly.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When the lighting is better, I'll get a better picture.

I probably have 30-45 minutes invested. Most of that was with the wire brush cleaning up the rust.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fixed my rear wiper motor with the help of THIS thread.

When I pounded the shaft out of the housing, I could tell it was stuck. And once free of the worm gear, it still wouldn't rotate.

Here's what it looked like inside the housing:
0B3B0C03-AE1A-4B6E-BA23-11C2CB0D2E48.jpg

The end of the shaft had significant corrosion on it. Some brake cleaner and a paper towel got it smooth again:
73AA64D2-DACA-4C7B-8D55-734DFEABC9FD.jpg

Overall a very easy project.

I just painted the rear wiper arm black and I threw away the old wiper so I can't actually test it. But I could see the shaft rotating, so I know it'll work.

OP
OP
ExplorerTom

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropped the gas tank today to change the fuel pump to fix my gas gauge not working.

Tank came down pretty easy. I did it all by myself. I did have to cut one rubber fuel line because I couldn't get it to release. Got a piece of 3/8" diameter about a foot long to replace it.
6ABCA949-1BFF-44D8-AA70-17DA5E48DBD1.jpg

My reason for this project was because my fuel gauge didn't work. I know there's tricks to supply resistance to see it it's a gauge problem but my ScanGauge was also reading 0% so I figured it was a problem with the sendor in the tank.

And sure enough. When I pulled the old pump out, it was missing the float on the sendor arm.
2B552734-8853-48C9-A5FC-7F9A4FFE79F0.jpg

The piece of foam that floats in the gas wallowed out the hole through it to the point where it could float off the shaft. Found it floating in the tank by itself.
4323FA86-4706-4229-8A53-2CB1CB42A275.jpg

But I'm waiting for a new fuel tank pressure sensor to come before I can reinstall the tank. I snapped off the brittle plastic connector while trying to transfer it to the new pump.