My personal opinion of the two body styles.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98EXPY 5-0

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is kind of a useless post, but I thought I'd share my thoughts.

To me, the First Gens look like a mean, tough, off-road type vehicles and and the Second Gens look like they should have big rims, low profile tires and be a Street Cruiser.

I'm not sure why, but thats how I feel about the two body styles.

Agree, or disagree?

98Sexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
completely agree. I dont like the newer gen of Expy's.. I have a 98, love its stance and the way she's gonna look lifted!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i agree. but the 2nd gens are just as off road capable as the 1st gens. i went on a trail with smooth and talls. both have 2nd gens. while me and nvy with 1st gens did just as well. maybe better cause of the solid rear axle.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
I agree too. The first gens look good lifted, but not when they are lowered and prettied up. The newer ones can go either way if done right. If I get a newer model, I'd be more inclined to keep it classy. Nice rims, etc. But the first gens look awesome as huge 4x4's.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i agree the 2nd gen is much more refined and doesn't look at home out in the rough... i feel the same about the 1st gen explorers i had one similar to LANE24 but the 2nd gens look goofy lifted

TheGuyJones

Reaction score
Personally, that first gen expedition (and same style F150) were my absolute least favorite style of Ford Truck/SUV ever. I think the 2003+ to current are much more beefier looking.

Tigster

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I like the 2nd gens lifted. The 1st gens just look better they are chrome bumpers like a truck.

Ford-Expedition_with_a_lift.jpg

(not my truck ;) )

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i cant remember which company...but ford had a partnership with a europeaon company and let them do the designs of all their vehicles until sales started to drop...once they broke away they decided to go with a more american/muscle/beefy look and therefore the 03-06 was born...further developing their style the 07-present style was born and it carried to the other vehicles...

at least that what i read a while back....

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i too personally prefer the 1st gen. this is my 2nd. i traded my 98 in for the 01 and then went to town. i do like the other gens but there just arent enough options out there for lifts. the rize lift kits are garbage and look like shit so i would never do that to an expy. if they made a fabtech lift for the newer gens, i wouldnt mind gettin one. until then, i will just beef up the one i got and make it a beast.

WHOISMOOTOO

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup I do agree it seems like when you put rims and low pros on a 1st gen they always seem to sit way too high and need like a 10" drop to look decent. But when there all jacked up with 32s dressed up with brush guards and off road lights they look damn good! I haven't seen too many 2nd Gen expy's ready for mudding except for the one that got stuck and tore his bumper off in that video that was posted on here a few months back lmao that was actually funny