mystery shimmy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
omfg please dont tell me you didnt check your tire balance yet...

they cause serious wobble at highway speeds, just like a bad axle or bad shaft
hahahaha

your tires have lead weights which require a machine to tell the installer where to place them
if the weights get shifted, or you lose one, it will manifest itself as a moderate to strong wobble at highway speeds (50+ mph), but be perfectly fine at lower speeds

Last edited:

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i also have a factory 2wd eddie bauer.. 1999
seems like it's designed to tow, though what actual transmission it has would be my guess

how can i easily find out which transmission i have?

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the front drive line axle was balanced with new u joints. It does feel like a u joint kind of but i am trying to feel what going on with out it in right now. I have not found anything broken at this time but if there is still vibration in the back then maybe transmission... or it continued vibration in front then front diff or.. so im looking at either front diff or transmission. Or other.

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There was something vibrating this morning with no front drive line axle in, so still not sure if that tells me its the front diff. Transmission was done a long time ago for 1000 buck and it started ever since then which was like four years ago. I would have an easier time telling you what I have not done and basically the engine rebuild. I have been working on misfires and suspension issues and finally resolved those and have isolated it to these areas. After new wheels and tires and new shocks and stuff. I did the hubs even, which were not bad. In the spirit of measuring once and cutting once more then I liked this vehicle before the messed up wobbles i experience now. I had the rear diff rebult and I should have had the front rebuilt at the same time but I tried to tackle the front diff. The little fixes I can do are turning into expensive repairs so I want to be sure its the transmission before I spend that kind of money. I really dont want to get a good condition transmission and have it still wobble again...

transmissions are either 4r100 or 4r70w. the 70 goes with the 2wd / 4.6 model and the other variant is the one with 2wd option and mine which only has awd as its lowest drive option so its automatic awd and supposed to cruise in rwd automatically. im not sure about tow packages. I was told by the sales man that this has a tow package although im not sure what that means. I know there are two different rear diff ratios as well like an 8.8 an the 9.75 " ring gear.

?I also wonder if the transmission i got from an eddie bauer model that does not have the same awd set up as mine is an issue?

seems like the transfer case issue is where i have isolated the vibration, before or after it.

Crazy i was feeling vibration in the front this morning because it was random and did not get much worse above 65 but a steady vibration in the front. I have appointments next week for the differential and an expert shop where i have my rear torsion installed. I have been seeking out experts to help me but they each rule out their respective areas.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are so many items that can cause vibration. Wheel Bearings, Ball Joints, Rotors, Out of Balance Wheels... My truck used to vibrate like crazy when braking and at highway speed because my front rotors had warped on the inside side and they started scoring. Ive replaced my rotors front and rear and its been smooth as silk. Your issue sounds like something else but I'm just saying it's not always major.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you reread his op, his vibration or shimmy only happens with foot on throttle. That would rule out rotors, rims/tires, ball joints. His problem is drive line related. Finding what is the problem he or a shop will have to diagnose. The fact that he disconnected his differential and stopped his problem temporarily, would lead me in that direction. I can't see how bolting in a 4 r100 in place of 4r70 would cause this. 2 torque convertors later should have isolated that possibility.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you reread his op, his vibration or shimmy only happens with foot on throttle. That would rule out rotors, rims/tires, ball joints. His problem is drive line related. Finding what is the problem he or a shop will have to diagnose. The fact that he disconnected his differential and stopped his problem temporarily, would lead me in that direction. I can't see how bolting in a 4 r100 in place of 4r70 would cause this. 2 torque convertors later should have isolated that possibility.

Yea sometimes I'm guilty of not reading the entire post. I agree with your analysis then..

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No problem buddy, I get too into the fix myself, then Stamp or Bedrck, make me see theirs always another issue I missed, or didn't think of for the fix!

OP
OP
studabaker

studabaker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So my rotors have been replaced five years ago when i first got it.

Transmission is suspect at this point i guess my wallet want to be certain. So maybe not the 70 but i think there are some minor differences in the gear ratios of the other model with 4r100. I need a 4r 100 from a vehicle with my same drive selections. From a wharehouse with transmissions on the shelves its easy to make that assumption that they are the same. Thank you for participation. It actually feels like rotors except not only when braking.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The shuddering your describing would make your steering wheel shake violently every time you touched the brakes. In post #9 you stated removed transfer case to differential shaft, and vibration vanished! Then it came back! Am I missing something here? You made it disappear, then it reappeared! How's that even possible?