Navi / Expy payload capacity?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm interested in the payload capacity of these vehicles, according to the stickers inside the driver's door. If any of you have your trucks yet, can you please post up your configuration (options etc) along with what the payload capacity is? I'm especially interested in the Expy Platinum or Navi Reserve 4x4 SWB, but welcome all data points.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of the dealers in my area that has some Expis in inventory posted its door sticker (although not all of it). It's a Platinum short wheelbase. VIN: 1FMJU1LT6JEA01478

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...rchRadius=25&makeCode1=FORD&modelCode1=EXPEDI

67f60a78e5794395942ec9e6d7fe8a08.jpg

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
<700 kilos??? So, what, no full load of fat or even just tall people, much less with luggage????

1) thats dumb, Ive loaded far more in my '09 SSV
2) have these people BEEN to America????? Fat people interested in bringing their relatives or friends or coworkers or customers with lots of crap is pretty much their target audience.... if for whatever reason the regulations or math don't add up for advertising more payload, then get yo ***** back to the drawing board, beef up the friggin suspension or whatever, and make DAMN SURE the short version can carry 7-8 average american males with at least a friggin carryon bag each and a couple cheked luggages or a duffel bag each and a few beer coolers and tents or rifles or something between em. And the EL should DEFINITELY carry 8 adults, with any proportion of reasonably big men or thick women, with 50 pounds of luggage per head. Sheesh.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our GVWR is 500 pounds more than the 18’ after seeing this, that’s two good size passengers less in capacity. That could make or break your trip 500 is a lot of weight. The 07-17 standard length has a GVWR of 7,700 pounds the new one is 7,225. They keep makin the vehicles lighter Duty with softer suspensions.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rumline

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks aggiegrad. The one you posted looks like a 2WD with the trailer tow package and 2nd row buckets. Disappointing that it's not higher. I'm curious how much adding 4x4 will add in weight.

Our GVWR is 500 pounds more than the 18’ after seeing this, that’s two good size passengers less in capacity. That could make or break your trip 500 is a lot of weight. The 07-17 standard length has a GVWR of 7,700 pounds the new one is 7,225. They keep makin the vehicles lighter Duty with softer suspensions.
Yeah the GVWR being lower is not a good sign, but out of curiosity could I trouble you to find/post the max load from the "Tire and Loading Information" sticker on your current rig? XLT has less "stuff" in it so I'd expect it to be higher than a Platinum.

OP
OP
rumline

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
<700 kilos??? So, what, no full load of fat or even just tall people, much less with luggage????

1) thats dumb, Ive loaded far more in my '09 SSV
2) have these people BEEN to America????? [..snip]
Preach it brother. Not to mention if you want to actually use that 9000 lb tow rating you're left with only 600 lbs for your hitch, occupants and cargo. Or 270kg for the metrically-inclined.

Yeah I don't get the extended versions. They're longer but have lower tow and payload capacity than the short wheelbase. Due to the extra body weight I assume. I guess if you have a bunch of kids it makes sense. But why don't they upgrade the suspension / whatever to have a higher payload capacity on a larger vehicle?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks aggiegrad. The one you posted looks like a 2WD with the trailer tow package and 2nd row buckets. Disappointing that it's not higher. I'm curious how much adding 4x4 will add in weight.

Yeah the GVWR being lower is not a good sign, but out of curiosity could I trouble you to find/post the max load from the "Tire and Loading Information" sticker on your current rig? XLT has less "stuff" in it so I'd expect it to be higher than a Platinum.

Just saw this in the morning I’ll go post the sticker info.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the tire and loading sticker as requested for my 07. Note my curb weight is 5,805 pounds.

9F3128ED-252F-46A9-96FC-4F0A733D0A6A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
rumline

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just looked at a Navigator Reserve 4x4 with the tech, tow, and massage seat package. Here's the sticker. 4b9a64d3bd9f92038a66340a625b9bc9.jpg

I wish I could edit the OP to keep a running list.

OP
OP
rumline

rumline

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally found an Expedition in stock. Apparently these have been selling like hotcakes. This one was a base 4x4 XLT with only the panoramic roof added. Payload is 1604 lbs, 80 lbs higher than the 2WD Platinum posted earlier. 0e8d01ec779933afd796161477019784.jpg

Edit: I'm not sure how loaded your XLT is, JExpedition07, so the new ones look to be ~150-200lbs less capacity than the 2nd generation Expys. Not great but at least not 500 lbs less like originally feared.

Last edited: