Navigator/Expedition Tail lamp swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After seeing a few navigators lately I’ve noticed they have two things I would like: separate amber turn signals and led brake lights. I know there are aftermarket led taillights (Andy has them) but I’m really after the amber separate turn signals. I flat tow my truck behind my tour bus and the bus has separate brake lamps and turn signals. My combiner box doesn’t do a very good job of translating signals to the truck so the brake lights and turn signals are dim and sometimes malfunction in weird ways. All this to say I would love if there were some simple way to swap tail lights from the Navi to my Expedition.d60ce47ccdae63258b6d3dcace2f1188.jpg124518360b2e1953cbb7e0f1bd867787.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Isnt it just the middle strip on the tailgate that won't swap over easily?? The side units should probably fit

Also, pretty sure they're NOT the reason your trailer doesnt repeat signals correctly

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear bumper cover will need to be changed as well. Its "sides" are taller if that makes any sense, allowing the smaller tail lights. I agree though, its a nicer look.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I'd love the Amber blinkers but I feel like splitting the brake/blinker would take some crafty electrical work. I have some schematics on my pc so I'll see if I can sort out the wiring/relay differences.

I'm very glad you posted this because I was looking at a navi the other day and had the same thought.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd love the Amber blinkers but I feel like splitting the brake/blinker would take some crafty electrical work. I have some schematics on my pc so I'll see if I can sort out the wiring/relay differences.

I'm very glad you posted this because I was looking at a navi the other day and had the same thought.

Could just splice em off the trailer connections

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Could just splice em off the trailer connections
Right but the navi uses a separate brake/blinker. The expedition uses a common brake/blinker so even at the trailer connections your blinker and brake are still the same wire

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After seeing a few navigators lately I’ve noticed they have two things I would like: separate amber turn signals and led brake lights. I know there are aftermarket led taillights (Andy has them) but I’m really after the amber separate turn signals. I flat tow my truck behind my tour bus and the bus has separate brake lamps and turn signals. My combiner box doesn’t do a very good job of translating signals to the truck so the brake lights and turn signals are dim and sometimes malfunction in weird ways. All this to say I would love if there were some simple way to swap tail lights from the Navi to my Expedition. c24f4c2b317c9978da0f92510472476a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That does look nicer, and I'm sure that with right amount of money anything is possible. Particularly if you know the right people to pay to make it happen. I'm imagining swapping the complete rear hatch, sheet metal work to make the opening configured for the different shaped, smaller tail lights, a new bumper cover and paint work, plus all of the wiring and software changes. You'll probably be into it for $8,000 to $10,000

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am i the only guy who prefers the back end of the expy?? I didn’t even consider a Navigator simply because of that huge tail light. To each their own i guess, whatever year that is looks better than the years i bought in 07-10ish years. Those ones looked like a big ole set of lips on the back of the truck. The new rear is just awful for 18’.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That does look nicer, and I'm sure that with right amount of money anything is possible. Particularly if you know the right people to pay to make it happen. I'm imagining swapping the complete rear hatch, sheet metal work to make the opening configured for the different shaped, new bumpe, smaller tail lights, plus all of the wiring and software changes. You'll probably be into it for $8,000 to $10,000
Am i the only guy who prefers the back end of the expy?? I didn’t even consider a Navigator simply because of that huge tail light. To each their own i guess, whatever year that is looks better than the years i bought in 07-10ish years. The new rear is just awful for 18’.
I like mine. I just wish the tail lights were bigger brighter and more modern, but that's me; I'm never satisfied. ;):cool::confused:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni