Navigator rear end bounce

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doug81

Reaction score
New here and first post.
I just bought a 2010 Navigator with 70k miles.
It has the air ride suspension and 20" stock wheels.
We live out in the country so lots of RR crossings and wash board gravel roads.
It seems the rear end bounces around too much at times.
Like a basketball and usually tries to come around on me.
I also have a 99 Expedition and it doesn't do this.
One would think the independent rear suspension would suck this right up.
Is this normal for the Navigator and if not, where do I start looking?

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would say the shocks are bad. But the "air ride" portion is unknown to me. Does it even have shocks?

OP
OP
D

Doug81

Reaction score
IDK, but I can't imagine it not having shocks.
I am going to try and turn the air off to see if that's an issue.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Air ride suspension" isn't exactly what you have, you have a self-leveling rear air suspension. Meaning, load up 6-8 people in the SUV, add heavy cargo, or hitch up to a boat & trailer and the rear airbags will do a good job of keeping the truck on a level plane. Keeps the back from squatting.

In addition to those helper airbags, you have a traditional rear suspension which might be in need of service. I am 99% sure those are shocks back there, I don't think they are struts and I believe the airbags replace coil springs on trucks without the self-leveling option. Its been a while since I've stuck my head under mine. A lot of people pay good money for this option, some pay even more to remove it.

If a lot of the 70K miles were put on by the original owner pulling a camper, trailer, hauling a large family, or if he lived on roads like you do, I'd say the suspension has maybe just worn out quickly.

Last edited:

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not familiar if the 2010 has separate air bags or struts like the 2nd gens. Either way they shouldn't affect the ride like that. Air ride tends to be a little more floaty feeling in general and tends to dive more under braking. They can also sometimes help mask a blown shock/strut. I would check for a leaking shock/strut and do the bounce test.

OP
OP
D

Doug81

Reaction score
Thanks guys...I will report back what I find.
I am looking at a replacement kit with coil-overs, but maybe it might be handy to keep if it works right.

Last edited:

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The air ride will eventually have issues. However if the shocks are separate and that is the only issue I wouldn't mess with it. If working properly it should handle fine and cope with changing loads/towing better than conventional springs.

OP
OP
D

Doug81

Reaction score
OK....I read the owner’s manual and it wasn’t much help...it’s like ¾” thick....but there was some clues about the suspension.
So I decided to do some experimentation.
I turned off the air suspension and trailer sway control using the setup buttons on the console.
I took it out over some nasty RR crossings and wow, what a difference.
So I am going to go under it tomorrow and see if there is air at all 4 corners or just the rear...IDK
I am thinking it was just really stiff because it assumed I was towing and so now it rides way cool and I mean cool.
Not too stiff and not too mushy like grandpa car.
The ride height seems to just fine as well.
There could be an issue of some leveling sensor wacko, but not gunna worry about it now because I have no plans to tow anything.
I agree Lostneye...if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
air suspension is just that...air suspension...they don't have traditional shocks...air shocks and bags is on the truck along with being rear leveling...like my 04...as stated the air suspension will have probs...no question...normally start around 7 yrs after production...up to 10 yrs when probs start...most replace and do the coil conversion due to the problem will return eventually if u keep the air suspension...swap is about $400 plus labor if u don't do it yourself...so many components to check with the air system...mine had bad O-rings...$1700 to fix...nah im good $500 later I have coils and dropped the truck 2"

OP
OP
D

Doug81

Reaction score
Got it!
Is there a difference in these air systems after 07 when they went to IRS?

Last edited: