Navigator rear end bounce

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pappy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most air suspensions DO have shocks. Some automotive air springs have the shocks built into them. I wonder if the problem here is a bad (or incorrectly adjusted) height sensor, making the system think it needs to be raised, thereby increasing the system pressure. There is also a big difference in air suspensions and air load leveling systems. If what you have is an automatic leveling system, leaving it off won't hurt a thing.

OP
OP
D

Doug81

Reaction score
I think you are right because the ride height seems to be fairly level now with it off and when it's on it is jacked up like a 60's car with shackles on the rear leafs.
So that explains the bounce too because pumped up air shocks have the same effect.
I know it rides pretty nice now although it warns me the air suspension is off every time I start it, so not sure how to stop that....but I will live with it for now.

Dhegg

Reaction score
air suspension is just that...air suspension...they don't have traditional shocks

I realize this is an old thread, but I am troubleshooting the suspension on my 08 Navigator L, and can say that this note is incorrect. The rear suspension on the 07-17 navigator has a shock, with an air spring. The conventional shock is mounted with the air-spring assembly mounted over the top of it. It can be disassembled, and both components replaced. Based on what the OP is describing, I would say the shocks were likely bad, and you were experiencing the feel of the airbag bouncing, without any shock resisting the bounce.
http://www.arnottmanuals.com/Reader/default.aspx?part=A-2647