need an OBD reader

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am very interested in using ForScan, but am having trouble deciding on a reader. I have been looking at various readers, but don't understand enough to pick one. The one that I see recommended most is about 80 bucks on Amazon, but the others are much cheaper. (around 30 bucks) I really prefer the wired version from the same company, but can't tell if it will work or not. Does anyone have any recommendations for one of the cheaper ones that work? I plan on connecting with a laptop. I like the big screen much better than a phone.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it's a matter of preference; lots out there and the most important thing is to extract the info.

I bought an Innova 3100 OBDII reader back in the day. decent-sized screen imho.

Plati

Reaction score
I bought and have used the BAFX along with Torque Lite. I haven't really figured out how to use it too well though. I need to find a Forum with information, this one is not very informative.

OP
OP
H

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just received the ohp ELMconfig today. Loaded ForScan on my laptop and got the license. Put the OBD in the laptop (usb) and windows installed it. Now I have to try it in the car. I read somewhere that the first thing to do is back up the current settings. I don't know where I read it, but I will find it before I try this thing in the vehicle.

OP
OP
H

HavasuMike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hooked up today and everything worked as advertised but now I have more questions.

I backed up the modules marked "as built". There are a few that do not say that. All but one has a module of the same name except PCM. Do I need to back up any of these?

Now that they are saved, can you look at the settings of these modules if you are NOT connected to the vehicle? I did not use the default save locations since I am using the program for two vehicles.

The first two things I would like to change is to add the daytime running lights and then to adjust my speedometer. Does anyone know where to find the specs on these items?

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The as-built pages let you modify the actual hex config data. The ones that don’t say that are a duplicate module name, and it shows you the functions FORScan knows how to change on its own.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cfarnAK