Need Suggestions please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geno001

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Expedition. Eddie Bauer Premium 4wd. 165k miles. I have a moaning sound in the front end. I can feel it slightly in the floor. If I twitch the wheel to the right it goes away. Comes right back when you go straight. 2wd, 4wd doesn't matter. I just replaced both front wheel bearing hubs figuring that was it. Noise still there. My next step is to take of the rear wheels and see if those bearing hubs are bad. What else could it be??!! I was sure the new bearings would cure it. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

B

bedrck46

could the noise be coming from the Power steering unit or anything to do with the serpentine belt. This cold weather we have had in this are does some strange things under the hood. No problems with my Expy but my Escape moans like crazy when it gets cold

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

geno001

Reaction score
Turns out it was the right rear wheel bearing resonating all the way through the truck sounded like it was coming from the front.

edcp

Reaction score
Noise

I have that same noise and the front appears ok. How did you locate it ?

Will shaking the wheel reveal anything?

Ed

OP
OP
G

geno001

Reaction score
Yes,

It ended up being the right rear wheel bearing assembly. I replaced it and no further problems.

AskMeLater

Reaction score
I have that same noise and the front appears ok. How did you locate it ?

Will shaking the wheel reveal anything?

Ed
If you suspect a bad wheel bearing, you can usually diagnose it pretty accurately by turning the steering wheel at speed. If you turn right and the noise goes away, it's a bad bearing on the right side. (When you turn right, you're shifting the weight of the vehicle to the left side, 'loading' those bearings, while at the same time 'unloading' the bearings on the right side of the vehicle.

Conversely, If the noise goes away when you turn left, it's a bad bearing on the left side.

It's usually recommended to replace bearings in pairs. (both front if a front is diagnosed, or both rear if a rear is diagnosed.)

Last edited: