Need Torque Specs / Seized control arm bolt - Resolved Thanks Guys

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry guys it's on the Windstar.

Need some input here. Need to change some front end parts. Started with the drivers control arm. What a PIA, anyway ended having to disassemble everything to get to the rear bolt. Would not budge at all. Sprayed with Kroil now the sleeve and the nut just spin. Need some ideas to take this apart. Have no torch.

Changing out both lower control arm Drivers ball joint move freely. Both Stabilizer links one the boots shot a nut let go at one point. the other moves freely. Got both outer tie rod ends Drivers seems fine. Got both inner tie rods Drivers seems to have some in and out movement. Replacing both axles seals has dried up fluid around them.

Need to do an inspection on the CV Axles to see if they need replacing. They currently make no noise.

Again sorry guys

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is their anything to lock a pair of vise grips onto? Do you have an air or electric impact wrench. If it's that rusted you might have to torch off, or use a sharp air chisel and cut off. Are you dealing with a double threaded bolt, or does it have a wrench head on the other side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thought of that no space between the mount and bushing. Using 18V impact gun already spun the sleeve. Got no acetylene torch doing it in the driveway. Nut and bolt 18mm both sides Can't get a good blow with hammer it's in a bad spot swing is like an or two.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You might have to tow to a well equipped shop/machine shop. It's tough doing some jobs at home. Did you get my pm about the pag oil quantities for your ac compressor?

OP
OP
J

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cut the control arm off with my grinder. With control arm all the way down I cut the top of the arm inside the mounting bracket. Then pushed it all the way and cut it from the bottom then pulled it off. Cut through the bushing jacket and bushing in two places pulled both of those pieces out. Spun it around and pulled the balance. Found the split in the sleeve cut into it in the center without hitting the bolt. Started hitting it with a cold chisel until in split open. Once the chisel got caught in the split I spray some Kroil in it and kept working it until it gave. One hell of a fight though.

Need Torque specs for a 2001 windstar front suspension if anyone has them handy thanks in advance.

Front and Rear Control Arm Bolts
Balljoint Pinch Bolt
Strut Pinch Bolt
Inner Tie Rod
Outer Tie Rod
Caliper Mount Bolts

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well Juan the best I found is 2003, should be close. Upper control arm to spindle ball joint, 50-68ft lbs. strut rod to frame & to lower control arm 100 ft lbs. upper con arm to frame75ft lbs. wheels 100 ft lbs. frt spindle nut 51-67 ft lbs. their was a lot of others, but these are the most important. Hope that helps. The others just snug up with your ratchet, like shocks/struts, sway bar bushings. Etc. Moose.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Send me a PM with your e-mail address I will send you some information

Torque Specifications
Description Nm lb-ft lb-in
Front suspension lower arm-to-subframe nuts 133 98 —
Front axle wheel hub retainer a b 250 185 —
Front wheel hub and bearing bolts-to-front wheel knuckle 115 85 —
Front suspension
lower arm ball joint
pinch bolt nut 63 46 —
Front wheel knuckle-to-strut
and spring assembly
pinch bolt 115 85 —
Front strut and spring assembly mounting bracket nuts 35 26 —
Front strut and spring assembly shaft nut 70 52 —
Front subframe-to-body bolt 90 66 —
Stabilizer bar bracket bolts 63 46 —
Front stabilizer bar
link nut 103 76 —
Tie-rod end-to-front wheel knuckle nut 55 41 —
ABS sensor
retaining bolt 5 — 44
a Apply a small patch of Loctite 242 or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSK-M2G351-A5 to the last five front wheel driveshaft joint threads before installing the new front axle wheel end nut.
b Install and tighten the new front axle wheel end nut to specification in a continuous rotation. Stopping the rotation during installation will cause the nylon lock to set incorrectly. This will cause incorrect torque readings while tightening the nut and lead to bearing failure. Always install a new front axle wheel end nut after loosening the nut, or when the nut has not been installed to specification in a continuous rotation.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the full chart, I just have the I phone, so I'm a little limited. Thanks Bob!