New big V8 coming (?) Will it be available in the Expedition ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rumor mill is buzzing again, about a new big V8 coming to finally replace the V10 still used in medium duty trucks. Likely it will be a big brother to the 6.2L "Boss" that has been in production in 2010.

Very little specific info has leaked out. It will be bigger, but how big ? Likely still SOHC, but 3V is a possibility. It is aimed at the medium duty market (F350 and up) so I think we are stuck with the 3.5L EcoBoost.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A V8 ecoboost would be a pretty sickly awesome engine.. I wish so bad they offered the 6.2 boss in expeditions like how GM does as of next year on all their SUVs with their 6.2.

botts

Reaction score
Or will we see it in 2019/2020 in an Excursion or beefed up Expedition?

There's a market for a 7 seater that'll tow an 11,500lb family trailer.

OP
OP
T

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Or will we see it in 2019/2020 in an Excursion or beefed up Expedition?

There's a market for a 7 seater that'll tow an 11,500lb family trailer.
Excursion, highly unlikely.

Beef up Expedition will be difficult with coil-over IRS !

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dnt see this happening, why put in a big v8 when the engine it has now is capable of the same power and more at a lower rpm...?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford just got a new CEO. I wonder if the whole Ecoboost, Billion dollar investment, has not paid off. The switch to aluminum body trucks has not been a big draw either.

OP
OP
T

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford just got a new CEO. I wonder if the whole Ecoboost, Billion dollar investment, has not paid off.
EcoBoost has a big problem ahead !

First, understand that this was a Bosch "thing", pushed by FoE. Half way through the development (I was working in R&E at the time) of the engine for the 2010 Taurus SHO, Ford NA could not duplicate the fuel economy improvements Bosch had promised to management. That was because the big improvements were only seen on the Europen drive cycle, not the US drive cycle ! The program went ahead anyway, and as everyone knows it has been a big success. (The Gen 1 EcoBoost on the old 3.5L Taurus was almost exclusively Bosch components and software. When the US 2.0L EcoBoost came out, Bosch had few if any components on the engine and the software was almost 100% US written.)

There are upcoming changes in US emission days that will limit particulate emissions from gasoline engine. Direct injection produce more particulates than port injection (something Ford has known, but probably forgotten, since they developed the PROCO engine back in the 70s-80s). Some of the EcoBoost engines now have 2 sets of injectors, one direct, one port. I do not know the exact "strategy" used to decide which ones are used (or what percentage of fuel is injected through which ones), but it does get them past having to use a "particulate trap" like on diesels !