New big V8 coming (?) Will it be available in the Expedition ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a old school conservative and old school car guy. You are the liberal, trying to preach and save gas. If the ecoBoost adds $2,395 to the price of F150, who do you think pays that in the Expedition? Total waste of money. How many payments is that? The V6 cash rebates are moving the F150, that and cheap leasing. My local dealer had 2015 Expedition, left over, until late 2016. They couldn't sell it, even with $6500 in discounts. Across town, the Chevy dealer, had 16 Tahoes. Salesman said, they are getting many new former Ford customers.
It's probably in that liberal New York that Expeditions aren't selling. Here in the conservative Midwest, Ford is out performing GM even though we have a GM assembly plant in town. Bought my last GM vehicle in 1990. Will never by another one as long and the government is still holding stock in the company.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Andy, I wouldn't waist my time with this guy. He lacks credentials and doesn't even own a Gen 3. A poor sad sack with nothing better to do than flap the keyboard with opinionated bunk.

Take the high road with this guy. He will only be silent when everyone ignores him.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am a old school conservative and old school car guy. You are the liberal, trying to preach and save gas. If the ecoBoost adds $2,395 to the price of F150, who do you think pays that in the Expedition? Total waste of money. How many payments is that? The V6 cash rebates are moving the F150, that and cheap leasing. My local dealer had a 2015 Expedition, left over, until late 2016. They couldn't sell it, even with $6500 in discounts. Across town, the Chevy dealer, had 16 Tahoes. Salesman said, they are getting many new, former Ford customers.

I've got to ask you RJ.....How many engines have you actually built? I'm just taking about the simple things like planning a set of heads or installing a set of con-rods? In fact, how many engines have you ever pulled and split open?

From the totality of your comments, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess ZERO. So where or where does all that negativity come from if it's not personal experience?

It can only come from one place....you are one of those gullible people that re-preaches what he reads on the 'net. Not a very sound basis for an education is it?

Do you even know the weak points of the 5.4V8 which you act like it belongs on hallowed grounds? Do you realize the percentage of headgasket oil & H2O leaks or crank bearing failures for any 5.4's that are fitted with high performance parts? How about the cam phasers

I speak from something that you simply don't possess, PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and I've owned 3 Expys, 2-5.4's and my new 3.5 and I disagree.

While owning my '17 since this past November, I've tracked my gas mileage since brand new and at around the 12K mark(I have over 17K in total now) I watched my mileage take a jump of around 1MPG so for example each tank was initially running around 17.4mpg and I would reset one of the three computer options when refilling the tank....the tanks now are running 18.6mpg and my gas mileage since brand new has steadily risen to 17.7mpg and I expect it to jump up to 17.8 in the next few days as the rise in mileage overcomes the lower initial mileage but trust me, I do not worry about mileage because I do not pay for gas.

I learned long ago that if you are going to bash something as others have characterized your comments, know what you are talking about and have practical as well as personal experience....you seem to think that the "old tried & true V8" never broke but that's very sadly mistaken as well!

The advantages that the "tough old V8" held in the 50's & 60's is GONE today, replaced by huge advancements in metallurgy advanced engineering & computer operation that relays temperature, speed and operating conditions.

Case in point: When I road-raced motorcycles in the 70's, we used to fit pistons to a clearance of 0.1016mm......now, it's .04mm and since you don't know what that means.... THAT is a DRAMATIC difference...all effected by the quality of the metals used today!

jeff

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I've got to ask you RJ.....How many engines have you actually built? I'm just taking about the simple things like planning a set of heads or installing a set of con-rods? In fact, how many engines have you ever pulled and split open?

From the totality of your comments, I'm going to go out on a limb and guess ZERO. So where or where does all that negativity come from if it's not personal experience?

It can only come from one place....you are one of those gullible people that re-preaches what he reads on the 'net. Not a very sound basis for an education is it?

Do you even know the weak points of the 5.4V8 which you act like it belongs on hallowed grounds? Do you realize the percentage of headgasket oil & H2O leaks or crank bearing failures for any 5.4's that are fitted with high performance parts? How about the cam phasers

I speak from something that you simply don't possess, PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and I've owned 3 Expys, 2-5.4's and my new 3.5 and I disagree.

While owning my '17 since this past November, I've tracked my gas mileage since brand new and at around the 12K mark(I have over 17K in total now) I watched my mileage take a jump of around 1MPG so for example each tank was initially running around 17.4mpg and I would reset one of the three computer options when refilling the tank....the tanks now are running 18.6mpg and my gas mileage since brand new has steadily risen to 17.7mpg and I expect it to jump up to 17.8 in the next few days as the rise in mileage overcomes the lower initial mileage but trust me, I do not worry about mileage because I do not pay for gas.

I learned long ago that if you are going to bash something as others have characterized your comments, know what you are talking about and have practical as well as personal experience....you seem to think that the "old tried & true V8" never broke but that's very sadly mistaken as well!

The advantages that the "tough old V8" held in the 50's & 60's is GONE today, replaced by huge advancements in metallurgy advanced engineering & computer operation that relays temperature, speed and operating conditions.

Case in point: When I road-raced motorcycles in the 70's, we used to fit pistons to a clearance of 0.1016mm......now, it's .04mm and since you don't know what that means.... THAT is a DRAMATIC difference...all effected by the quality of the metals used today!

jeff
You people crack me up. I never once said, I was a mechanic or expert. Boy...there is few so-called "experts" on this tread. Who cares if you road raced bikes in the 70's. I laid out every KNOWN, complaint/problem with the 3.5l. Yes the 5.4l, second Gen had problems(junk). Stupid problems! I did not buy one, because of them. Why do you think things will be different, this time? If ford made V8 engines that eject spark plugs, I would not trust one of there, more complex turbo versions. I hope everyone that "owns" a ecoBoost, invests in a extended warranty. Listen for rattling when you cold start, watch the tailpipe for smoke, use premium/synthetic oil and don't drive on highway on foggy/damp days. I wish you all, Good Luck.

Clemson82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I haven't driven the Expedition with the EB yet, but I did go with my dad last week to test drive F-150 Super Crew. Anecdotally, the EB definitely had more pep off the start, no doubt, but the 5.0 felt smoother to shift, and accelerate, and that's what he purchased. Based on our conversation with the sales person, it's all a matter of preference at this point, not sure either one is better.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I haven't driven the Expedition with the EB yet, but I did go with my dad last week to test drive F-150 Super Crew. Anecdotally, the EB definitely had more pep off the start, no doubt, but the 5.0 felt smoother to shift, and accelerate, and that's what he purchased. Based on our conversation with the sales person, it's all a matter of preference at this point, not sure either one is better.
Was there any other difference, like price/rebates? Salesman told me 5.0l F150 are hard to get, because of demand and are on back order. Most of trucks on lot were the plain 3.5l and EcoB 2.7l. Was your dads truck a purchase or lease? Did he test drive a Chevy or other brand? I read the GM motors are direct injection, all aluminum V8's .

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Was there any other difference, like price/rebates?

Here you go, so you can look yourself. There is a special Lease deal on the 2.7 XLT. Exactly what you said you would want, so you should head right down and pick it up. http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/2017/pricing-and-incentives/?gnav=header-shop

Salesman told me 5.0l F150 are hard to get, because of demand and are on back order. Most of trucks on lot were the plain 3.5l and EcoB 2.7l.

Yet again, the mysterious salesman that you get ALL of your info from. My guy local has a hard time moving the 5.0's because once they drive the 3.5TT EB, the 5.0 just doesn't feel as fun. Within 10 miles of my location, there are 54 5.0 equipped F-150's according to Ford.com, so not hard. So we can all quote the mysterious Salesman that we personally deal with...anything else to add?

I read the GM motors are direct injection, all aluminum V8's .

Here you go again, so you can look it up for yourself... http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/gm-engines/l83/#tab-2

Based on your previous statements this should be a turn off...Aluminum...nothing on a truck should be made out of Aluminium. Oh and GM is offering larger Rebates than Ford, on the Silverado. Yet the 150 is still outselling it....Hmmm.