New big V8 coming (?) Will it be available in the Expedition ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The 2015 Yukon XL and tahoes have GMs six speed they are pretty unreliable transmissions. In fact I chose to buy an Expedition over a Tahoe after doing research on the two. Ford has a much more stout transmission and overall drivetrain IMO. I also didn't like the cracking dashboards in the tahoes which can lead to safety problems related to the airbags, no thanks. Ford did well with the 6R75 and 6R80 transmissions I like them.[/QUOTE
When I ordered my Mustang, it came with mt82,chinese made manual(no thanks) or 6R80 Auto. The 6R80 is a BMW / ZF(6HP26) design, built under license, by Ford. The 6R80 is also used in the Expeditions.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
WRONG AGAIN! The 2.7ltt and non turbo 3.5l, are most sold. 65% F150 sales are V6, due to factory V6 incentive. The GM LS V8 is a great motor and is popular factory and aftermarket. High end Aluminum engines, are desired, paint peeling bodies, not so much.

You keep quoting these %'s for sales per Engine. Mind sharing your detailed sources for this info other than your Salesman buddy?

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Loki how do you like that edge? I see some pretty sharp ones now and then I think they are titanium or something like that. Too small for me but look like cool little crossovers.

Hence why the wife has the Expy. If I need a big vehicle I have one in the Driveway!

I have an Edge Sport with the 2.7EB running a LMS 93 Agressive. It is FUN, and quick. Gets better MPG than the Expy, and has all the options. Had a TDI Passat(VW Buyback) before it got 40+ MPG, so that has been an adjustment. All I need to do to put a smile on my face though is to mash it off the line. It just goes!!! Thanks for asking!!!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I ordered my Mustang, it came with mt82,chinese made manual(no thanks) or 6R80 Auto. The 6R80 is a BMW / ZF(6HP26) design, built under license, by Ford. The 6R80 is also used in the Expeditions.

Half of good business is knowing who to go to and who to copy, using ZFs design is in no way negative. At least they can say it's built in the United States. All companies "share" or license, just like how Range Rover buys Ford powerstroke engines and slaps a decal on them and calls them Land Rover clean diesels. Or how Mazda bought rights to use the Ford Escape body and drivetrain for their "Mazda tribute"

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Half of good business is knowing who to go to and who to copy, using ZFs design is in no way negative. At least they can say it's built in the United States. All companies "share" or license, just like how Range Rover buys Ford powerstroke engines and slaps a decal on them and calls them Land Rover clean diesels. Or how Mazda bought rights to use the Ford Escape body and drivetrain for their "Mazda tribute"
The "6R ZF" has versions built by many manufactures, even Hyundai and Rolls Royce. It can handle high tourqe/hp and is good for towing. The Chinese made MT82 manual, put in early Coyote Mustangs, is another Ford classic, dumb move.

Mike Wolfe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You people crack me up. I never once said, I was a mechanic or expert. Boy...there is few so-called "experts" on this tread. Who cares if you road raced bikes in the 70's. I laid out every KNOWN, complaint/problem with the 3.5l. Yes the 5.4l, second Gen had problems(junk). Stupid problems! I did not buy one, because of them. Why do you think things will be different, this time? If ford made V8 engines that eject spark plugs, I would not trust one of there, more complex turbo versions. I hope everyone that "owns" a ecoBoost, invests in a extended warranty. Listen for rattling when you cold start, watch the tailpipe for smoke, use premium/synthetic oil and don't drive on highway on foggy/damp days. I wish you all, Good Luck.
Hi
Good article on the merits of full synthetic oil
http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/owne...ally-in/ar-BBEs0Bw?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp
I have used synthetic oil & premium fuel in everything I have owned for over 25 years now. That includes my RZR's, string trimmers & Lawnmowers. Never had anything fail so will keep on doing the same. Interesting this article basically supports what I have believed all along. :burnout: