New Guy Researching

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjmck

Reaction score
Good Morning EF,

Found this site on Google and have been doing some research on 1st Gen Expeditions.

Long story somewhat condensed:

My company recently purchased my personal RAM EcoDiesel off me outright and it has become a company vehicle for myself. My wife drives a 2011 Wrangler JKU (That we recently purchased to replace her 07 JK). The reason for replacing the JK with the JKU was for our now 1.5 month old baby. Additionally I have an 89 Mustang that has has been a work in progress for approximately 9 years. It is drive-able but barely. I swapped a 351W bored out with some large heads and a bunch of other stuff. Its in the process of weeding out the nagging issues and being tuned.

Back to what I think I'm looking for:

I have been looking for a personal weekend vehicle and eventual rig to attach a plow to for personal use, also as a contingency factor in case anything ever happened with my job (I would lose my truck). Additionally if one of our current vehicles are down it can be a backup. I am a Diesel person, however with the thoughts of this vehicle sitting all week (and possibly each weekend if we drive the JKU) I think it will be a more cost effective idea to stick with a gas job. For what I would ever tow maxed out would be 8-9K LBS, and I do know this is a little over what the properly equipped (97-02) Expedition is rated for. I've also been looking into (97-03) Screw F150's and the F150 7700's.

I'm looking for a cheap vehicle to maintain, where parts are plentiful. I like the capability of the 7700's however being only offered in R/C-L/B and E/C-S/B I would like to have a full back seat for the kid. Much easier to get his seat in and out of a full size. The JKU is tough for me, too crampt and low makes it hard to get the car seat in. It literally tightly fits between the two front seat backs. I think i would get more use out of an SUV as I could use my company truck or borrow a trailer if needed. I want the 5.4L over the 4.6, so that is a requirement. The Screw seems the best of both worlds, but overall you can find a Expedition with some issues for minimal money. I don't want to deal with the airbag suspension setup that was available on some models, however I would like a "loaded" type unit. I have done some searching and it looks as if the Expedition is identical to the F150 allowing me to use all F150 plow parts to source. I plan to install a 7.5' plow, brand undecided depends on cost.

Thanks for the knowledge here!