New member from Florida

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MSMiller

Reaction score
Was gifted a 1999 5.4l RWD Expedition three weeks ago. Great forum here. Was able to repair the odometer from a post on here and now know the truck has 309,000 miles on it. It runs great, no A/C but what you gonna do it was a gift. The front end (ball joints and tie roads) was in really bad shape and was rebuilt last week. Four new tires and I am up and safely rolling. First Ford for me and I must say I am impressed with the truck so far. Been having fun fixing the little things from parts at the junk yard. Got new rear bumper, left tail light, both turn signal lights, rear wiper arm, Two rear pop out window motors, upper console/dome light, original jack and tire iron, gas shocks to hold hood open, key fob. All for $135 still got a few things to pick up and would like to get the A/C working. Been searching for a how to troubleshoot A/C on here. Thanks for this great forum.

OP
OP
MSMiller

MSMiller

Reaction score
Buy, borrow or rent a set of good ac gauges so that you can read system pressures.
System is leaking some place that doesn't show the dye they put in. Then they told me it could be $2,000.00 to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP
MSMiller

MSMiller

Reaction score
Did they have it on a rack to check all the lines & fitting for front and rear?
No it was a trusted mobile mechanic he briefly checked out the A/C as a courtesy. I was paying him a tell me what it will cost to make it safe. Then hired him to rebuild the front end, 4 shocks, 4 tires. He did hook it up to a machine on his truck, and added dye but he did not see where it was leaking from. The system was empty and when attached to the machine the compressor would not cycle. I'm spending time slowly checking hoses and cleaning electrical connectors. Door locks started working way better after tightening the battery cables. Steering is a little different then rack and pinion. Would like to improve its mpg. Very nice ride.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I get the impression that you save the "big" jobs for others. In that case the ac work is probably something you should have a pro perform unless you would like to jump in on. His price is probably on the conservative side if the lines to the rear ac are gone or the evaporator is shot. The evap & heater core alone are around $800-$1000+.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MSMiller

MSMiller

Reaction score
I get the impression that you save the "big" jobs for others. In that case the ac work is probably something you should have a pro perform unless you would like to jump in on. His price is probably on the conservative side if the lines to the rear ac are gone or the evaporator is shot. The evap & heater core alone are around $800-$1000+.
Yes I do leave the "big" jobs to someone that has the experience especially the ones that are safety concerns. Been riding a motorcycle full time for almost 6 years. It's down currently soon to be back on the road. Needed a safe ride fast and was gifted the Ford. It ran well so I chose to spend ( barrow) the cash to make it safe. Not going hire anybody for the a/c most of my cash now is going to the bike it gets 78mpg. The exp will be rainy day / weekend dog hauler. Headed to the junkyard tomorrow going to see what I can get. Going to try fixing the a/c my self. Where I work there's a mechanic for our trucks he was able to look at it today we definitely know the clutch is shredded. $13 if I can find a good one. Plus you get to learn how to take one off on there expedition. Any advice on what to look for in a used clutch?

OP
OP
MSMiller

MSMiller

Reaction score
Yes I do leave the "big" jobs to someone that has the experience especially the ones that are safety concerns. Been riding a motorcycle full time for almost 6 years. It's down currently soon to be back on the road. Needed a safe ride fast and was gifted the Ford. It ran well so I chose to spend ( barrow) the cash to make it safe. Not going hire anybody for the a/c most of my cash now is going to the bike it gets 78mpg. The exp will be rainy day / weekend dog hauler. Headed to the junkyard tomorrow going to see what I can get. Going to try fixing the a/c my self. Where I work there's a mechanic for our trucks he was able to look at it today we definitely know the clutch is shredded. $13 if I can find a good one. Plus you get to learn how to take one off on there expedition. Any advice on what to look for in a used ac clutch. $800-$1000 that a lot of $ here is a screen shot of the place I'm going tomorrow the price for a evaporator is $18 is it not recommended to use used parts?

d828fa4340e0c478d1903639a2830e25.jpg
d828fa4340e0c478d1903639a2830e25.jpg