new owner of 2005 expedition (does not run)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdubb28

Reaction score
I bought an 05 expedition that does not run. Truck has 211k on it. When you start it up initially it will run very poorly for a few seconds than die out and wont restart. I can smell fuel as I'm trying to start it but it wont start. If I do get it to run I have to keep my foot on the gas but it dies almost immediately when I take my foot off the pedal. What do you guys think?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought an 05 expedition that does not run. Truck has 211k on it. When you start it up initially it will run very poorly for a few seconds than die out and wont restart. I can smell fuel as I'm trying to start it but it wont start. If I do get it to run I have to keep my foot on the gas but it dies almost immediately when I take my foot off the pedal. What do you guys think?
Try disconnecting both VCT solenoids at the top of the valve covers. It is just a thought.

jstone5241

Reaction score
First thing I would do is run fuel injection cleaner thru gas tank. Then maybe clean throttle body. ( YouTube for throttle body cleaning)

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The real first thing to do is read the codes to see what's going on, that way you aren't guessing. The video I posted above talks about disconnecting the VCT solenoids to get the vehicle to idle if there is a problem with the cam phasers advancing at idle. by disconnecting the solenoids the phasers stay locked.

OP
OP
K

kdubb28

Reaction score
Ok I checked the computer for codes and I had a p2197 (bank 2 sensor 1 stuck lean) and a pending p0113 (intake air temperature circuit high input). I cleaned the throttle body. I got the truck to idle but its very rough and eventually dies out.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok I checked the computer for codes and I had a p2197 (bank 2 sensor 1 stuck lean) and a pending p0113 (intake air temperature circuit high input). I cleaned the throttle body. I got the truck to idle but its very rough and eventually dies out.

You might still want to watch the video that I posted. With a vehicle with that kind of mileage the rough idle and stalling might be related to the VCT solenoids. It might be worth just pulling the plugs and see what happens.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pulled the vct connectors and it made no difference.
Okay it was worth the try.

I guess the next thing is check the fuel pressure to make sure you are getting what you are supposed to from the pump. That might have something to do with the lean condition.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What part of the country did the previous owner reside in? The flooded hurricane specials will start showing up soon if they haven't already.