New Spec-D LED Tail Light Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My LED tail lights arrived today. I'll post a few pictures tonight and I'll show the install. Planning to install them tomorrow if the rain ends. The lights were well packed and cushioned.

They look much better in person than they did in the pictures on the website. I'll post more details as I get into the install. This is just to kick off this thread.

The tail lights were securely packaged well enough to keep them from hitting in transit.

IMG_5999.JPG

Straight on view of the Tail Lights
IMG_6001.JPG

Side View
IMG_6002.JPG

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Why not just change the bulbs out to LEDs on OEM?

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I was just curious. Can't wait to see pics after install
I was hoping that someone made a tail light assembly that was more modern looking with the LEDs and glow sections but they didn't. I also have the chrome trim to dress them up that I'll be installing at the same time. I want to make sure that everything is working before I put the trim on them.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look nice.

Where did you buy them and how much did they cost?
Thanks Mike.

I bought them from CARiD.com here's the link https://www.carid.com/2017-ford-expedition-taillights/spec-d-led-tail-lights-659535308.html

They were $218.10 for the pair. There were cheaper ones on eBay but I just wasn't sure of the quality. They may well be the same thing, but I choose to go with the higher cost ones because of the perceived value of dealing with a US company and not an eBay seller on these.

I installed them yesterday and they went in without a problem. My backup LEDs will be here today and and after I install them, I'll post pictures and a how to install here.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Thanks Mike.

I bought them from CARiD.com here's the link https://www.carid.com/2017-ford-expedition-taillights/spec-d-led-tail-lights-659535308.html

They were $218.10 for the pair. There were cheaper ones on eBay but I just wasn't sure of the quality. They may well be the same thing, but I choose to go with the higher cost ones because of the perceived value of dealing with a US company and not an eBay seller on these.

I installed them yesterday and they went in without a problem. My backup LEDs will be here today and and after I install them, I'll post pictures and a how to install here.
So only the brake lights were LED?

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I installed my LED tail Lights. They are very bright I am hoping to shoot a video that shows them in action. I'll have to wait until my daughter gets home from work so I'll post it later.

The back of the LED tail lights look just like the standard tail light except for the LED array on the front side. In this picture you can also see the sealed resistors that come with the tail lights.

IMG_6014.JPG

You start by removing the the two screws that hold the tail light assembly to the back of the truck and then pull back to release the pins on the back side that plug into the body. Once I removed the factory tail light assemblies I disconnected the light bulbs and I installed the resistor that came with with the LED tail lights.

IMG_6004.JPG

I found a place to locate the resistor in an area away from plastics. The resistor came with some very sticky double sided tape. I found a flat area up inside the opening above the tail light and stuck it there. I mounted it high enough to keep it away from water.

IMG_6006.JPG

I plugged in the connectors and and the backup light bulb.

IMG_6015.JPG

The finished tail light looks pretty good.

IMG_6007.JPG