New Spec-D LED Tail Light Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are pictures of the Tail Light Trim that I installed:

The trim had tape around the perimeter of the trim piece. I noticed that when I test fit it earlier the inner ring bowed out from the tail light. I was afraid that the car wash would catch it and break it off so I bought some of the 3M automotive tape and added some additional strips so that I could stick it to the tail light.

This is as it came from the factory:

IMG_6025.JPG

This shows the additional tape that I added to secure it to the tail light:

IMG_6027.JPG

And here is the finished product:

IMG_6038.JPG

IMG_6039.JPG

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a video of the LED tail lights in action. The video is unlisted in my YouTube account but feel free to share it if you want. Let me know if you can't view it and I'll change the privacy settings if there's a problem. There is no sound on the video - I figured that nobody wanted to hear me giving my daughter instructions. :)

Last edited:

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When replacing the bulbs in the third brake light or any colored lens....the LED color must match the lens color. Never use a clear LED in a colored lens.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is this in response to something that I posted?
No your tail lamp assemblies are awesome, just throwing the LED color info for anyone thinking of just changing bulbs. After I wrote the post I noticed that the person with the 3rd brake light had indeed purchased red LEDs for his project.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No your tail lamp assemblies are awesome, just throwing the LED color info for anyone thinking of just changing bulbs. After I wrote the post I noticed that the person with the 3rd brake light had indeed purchased red LEDs for his project.
Okay thanks, I just wanted to make sure that I didn't miss something. I like the LED tail lights. I took a chance on them because the manufacturer's pictures were so blurry that I wasn't sure how they were going to look or work. At night when I back up to the garage door the brake lights make these two giant red balls of light on the door. I imagine they will be pretty bright if you are sitting in a car behind them. :)

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They look really good! How bright are they at night? That chrome trim really makes them pop.

Personally I lean more towards seperate turn signal lights in amber. For some reason I have always disliked the “combo brake-turn signal” bulbs in red. I know its not an option with our vehicles but I wish it was. I even went so far as to re-wire my entire trailer (runs 4 pin and 7 pin) for led with seperate brake and light turn signals.

OP
OP
ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They look really good! How bright are they at night? That chrome trim really makes them pop.

Personally I lean more towards seperate turn signal lights in amber. For some reason I have always disliked the “combo brake-turn signal” bulbs in red. I know its not an option with our vehicles but I wish it was. I even went so far as to re-wire my entire trailer (runs 4 pin and 7 pin) for led with seperate brake and light turn signals.
They are very bright and the brake lights at night are extremely bright. They will get your attention. When I back up to the garage door at night, they make bright red balls of light on the garage door.

I spend a couple of days looking for alternate tail lights for the Expedition, I was hoping for something more modern, with the neon glow panels and some of the stuff you see in the newer designs.

I am pretty happy with the LEDs but like you, I wish they had used two colors for the turn signals and the brake. :)