New to me 07 Expedition El - crap mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Funstuie

Reaction score
hey all

I have had my 07 Expedition EL (end edition) for a few weeks now and I have been focused on cosmetic stuff on the inside and outside (as it's what swmbo comments on when I buy vehicles).

The Expy runs fine doesn't seem to have any noticible noises or issues. It starts up fine and is a comfortable drive. Acceleration seems ok (although I haven't really put it to the test), gets up to speed on the freeway without much effort etc.

My worry is that I am getting approx 9/10 mpg at the moment. Now I didn't expect 45mpg but I was hoping for 16/17mpg combined. What tune up/service options do I have that might give me an increase in mpg - I am getting new wheels and tires soon as there is 2 different type of tires on the truck now and also the back tires are right on the bubble for thread.

There is very little history with this truck. The previous seller was very honest about what he had done but it was local mechanic. Regular oil changes etc but I don't know if the spark plugs have been done, coil PAC etc. Also I have no idea if the trans has ever been flushed and I am slight hesitant to do it as I have read that doing a fresh flush could cause issues if it's never been done.

My plan is to change the oil and filter (it's due in a few hundred miles anyway), should I just do the plugs and coils? Should I do the trans flush? Is there anything else I should do?

I can make peace with the mpg if there is nothing I can do about it as this is not my daily driver but I do want to ensure that this truck lives on for many many more miles. It was always my intention to do the servicing myself but just general maintenance.

FisherPete

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What differential ratio do you have? Is it full time 4x4 or AWD? Stock wheels and tires or oversize? What engine? Each of these will affect mileage. That said, if it's set up as a stump puller, 10 to 11 mpg is not bad. However, if you have a V6, tall gears, 2wd and skinny tires you'd still be doing really well to approach 16mpg.

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I'm guessing you have the 5.4 and 3.73 gears? That's what I have and seeing the same milage but I am a little heavy on my foot.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funstuie,

My 05 would get 15 mpg on the highway at 70-75 mph. Around town in the summer (combo) driving I'd get about 12 MPG, in the winter mileage always drops to around 10 because of the change in fuel. When I got mine I changed all of the fluids including the the transmission, the front and rear differentials, and the the transfer case, I also had the radiator flushed and the oil changed.

If the plugs and COPs haven't been changed I'd probably change them too. The other thing to look at is to make sure the Cats aren't plugging up because that could also cause an issue with gas mileage.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None at all. I think that is an old wives tale that people keep holding on to. A new gasket, screen, and fresh oil doesn't hurt it at all. At 146635 miles my transmission never missed a beat or slipped an inch. It still had hard firm shifts and pretty much drives like my new truck.

Reaction score
Has anyone tried taking half the air cleaner tube off to improve fuel? I don't want to spend the $300 for cold air and heard about taking half the tube off the part where it goes into the fender. What do y'all think?

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
Has anyone tried taking half the air cleaner tube off to improve fuel? I don't want to spend the $300 for cold air and heard about taking half the tube off the part where it goes into the fender. What do y'all think?

More air generally means more fuel so not sure that's really going to help you.

What type of driving do you do? City, highway? If you doing highway then use your cruise control more or just find a speed where your rpms are as low as possible but still maintain speed

I would also recommend resetting the mpg through the cluster. That will allow you to start over and see how any changes you made affect it pretty quickly.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
othermrsikes