New to me Expy, already having problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will be a Henry Ford and Cast Iron Charlie Sorensen man till I die "Merica!", but it is a fact that this engine had multiple major failures resulting in class action lawsuits. When the camphaser issue is so prevalent that there's an after market "lockout" kit for it, well Houston we have a problem. Mine only had 50K when I bought it and 60k on it when I finally dumped it. My current 99 has 195k and still going strong. Strong enough to shoot #3 plug out of the head and strip it..LOL, but that's another story. Hope I'm not offending anyone, just wanted to share my experience to maybe save someone else the pain. I think Glenn said he paid 3k for his 05 expy and will probably be another 3k in to repairs for a total of 6k. That's alot of k's for a 12yr old truck.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my 05 in 2013 It had 119K miles on it I drove and put 27K on it without doing anything to the engine except changing the oil regularly. The main reason I traded it in was rust issues and we take a couple of long trips during the summer, the longest of which is about 7-1/2 hours of driving and I just didn't feel comfortable taking that long of a trip in it anymore. I'm sure it would have handled it with no problem I just didn't want to take the chance of breaking down hours from home and having to deal with people I didn't know. If was going to just drive around town and do short trips I would have kept it longer.

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
I think Glenn said he paid 3k for his 05 expy and will probably be another 3k in to repairs for a total of 6k. That's alot of k's for a 12yr old truck.

It's an '06, but yeah about $3k for it, and we're another $2k into it two months later. Really starting to feel like I inherited someone else's problem.

Glenn

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's an '06, but yeah about $3k for it, and we're another $2k into it two months later. Really starting to feel like I inherited someone else's problem.

Glenn

I feel for ya buddy. Whatever decision you make I hope it works out for ya.

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
I feel for ya buddy. Whatever decision you make I hope it works out for ya.

Spoke to Dale at the dealer today. Solenoids did not fix it. He says he could spend days and lots of my money trying to find the problem or drop a new engine in it. Looking at 5 to 7k for that kind of job.

Sigh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sucks. I would dump it and by a 99-2001 for 2k, but I'm not sure how committed you are to suffering through. If so, go out to the truck and on the front of the right head ( left facing it ) disconnect the wiring harness that goes to the camphaser sensor and see if most of the problems go away. It's been a while since I've had to do this but I remember only needing to disconnect the one side. You might be able to find a you tube video of someone doing this. I'm not saying this is a fix, but it may help you suffer through or atleast give you a definitive answer on getting out of it and taking the loss. I'll try to do some searching to refresh my memory in the meantime. Let me know what happens and I'll do what I can to help you further.

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gothca. Well when you get it back disconnect it, and see what happens. I wouldn't spend another dime until you eliminate the cam phasers ability to retard the timing. Later

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Spoke to Dale at the dealer today. Solenoids did not fix it. He says he could spend days and lots of my money trying to find the problem ...
This is a dealer saying that they can NOT diagnosis the [problem ! Time to go to a different dealer !