New to us 2000 Expy Eddie Bauer with 5.4L misc issues. Advice please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DWhitley

Reaction score
I love this vehicle so far. Even with a couple minor issues. Found a good deal on it and my wife fell in love with it almost immediately. Plus with just over 116k on it she’s in pretty great shape. Just there are a couple small issues I need to correct.

1. The is a rattling like a loose part when you open the sun shade for the sun roof. I plan to tear into that tomorrow. Hoping it may just be the channel I’ve read about in the board that is loose. Will update after I take a look.

2. I started to try and tackle the drivers seat not going forward nor back. I didn’t have the T55 socket so I couldn’t get all the way into it and take the frame fully apart. But the toothed rails are bone dry. I hear the motor making noise like skipping teeth when it tries to move. Could it just be simply re-lubricate the rails and it will work? And the last owner looks to have crushed the crossbar that connects both cogs. With that now oblong will it make a repair impossible? How likely is it that the motor is weak from being 17 years old and just needs cleaned inside along with the switch contacts? Hope someone may have insight there.

3. The rest is just cosmetic. A few covers and a DEEP cleaning will bring the old girl back to life.

4. For those that do a lot of MOD with electrical items...Does anyone have any suggestions where to mount a power fuse rail and a ground fuse rail where they would be hidden, yet able to be used to be power attach points for LED accents and such can be ran to and not splice isn’t harnesses?

5. Any recommendations for the easiest point to intercept the starter signal for the installation of a cutoff switch to disable the starting system as added security? Looking for it to be somewhere between the starter relay and the starter yet not easy to detect. After all the goal is to make it so that one can’t jump the relay connectors to start the vehicle yet not give away the kill switch exists or it’s location.

6. These constant on interior lights bug me to no end. I am wondering the best location to tap the courtesy circuit so that I can install an override switch.

7. Almost forgot about the darn suspension light on because the rear suspension was changed over from the air bags. Just want the darn light off.

I understand some things if not all may be buried in the forums. Please forgive my asking. I have a bit of a hard time spending hours searching due to being a disabled vet on pain meds that fog the mind when doing long searches. I can do the work myself, it just takes a bit of time while I figure out how it all goes together. Vehicles are easier than the fighters I maintained. Hence the back issues. Thanks in advance and any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Derek

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hey DWhitley, congratulations on becoming an owner of this vehicle! I have the exact same year/model and also really like it. In fact, I like the styling of this year's Expedition *much* more than that of the newest models, which in comparison seem to my eyes to be fairly nondescript, "boxy" and lack the 2000's somewhat "retro" character. I've received quite a few compliments about the vehicle from people so I assume others agree.

You might be interested in checking out my post of a week or so ago in which I was seeking clarification of its tow capacities. Molded into the rear bumper cover it says the max tongue weight is 400 lbs and the trailer GVWR is 4000 lbs -- both pretty meager for a an 8-cylinder FWD 5.4 engine SUV, if you ask me.

However, it seems that since the vehicle came from the factory with the Heavy Duty Trailer Towing package it can actually haul up to 6900 lbs (my particular vehicle has 17" tires and a 3.5 axle ratio).

One thing I still need to find out is the max tongue weight of the hitch. I have to think it's way over the 400 lbs indicated on the bumper cover. If you find out anything about that topic please post it!

OP
OP
D

DWhitley

Reaction score
Hey DWhitley, congratulations on becoming an owner of this vehicle! I have the exact same year/model and also really like it. In fact, I like the styling of this year's Expedition *much* more than that of the newest models, which in comparison seem to my eyes to be fairly nondescript, "boxy" and lack the 2000's somewhat "retro" character. I've received quite a few compliments about the vehicle from people so I assume others agree.

You might be interested in checking out my post of a week or so ago in which I was seeking clarification of its tow capacities. Molded into the rear bumper cover it says the max tongue weight is 400 lbs and the trailer GVWR is 4000 lbs -- both pretty meager for a an 8-cylinder FWD 5.4 engine SUV, if you ask me.

However, it seems that since the vehicle came from the factory with the Heavy Duty Trailer Towing package it can actually haul up to 6900 lbs (my particular vehicle has 17" tires and a 3.5 axle ratio).

One thing I still need to find out is the max tongue weight of the hitch. I have to think it's way over the 400 lbs indicated on the bumper cover. If you find out anything about that topic please post it!

Thanks Charles! I actually read that thread last night. Since I have nothing to tow but the heavy duty tow package as well. Well, I assume I do since it is a black bar under the bumper and the 7 pin connector in the bumper. Would be good to know though since we may get something in a year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uscgmac

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tounge weight of the tow package underneath the bumper is going to be much higher then the bumper tounge weight. I bought my 02 used and it came with a Reese hitch reciever attached underneath the bumper. It has a sticker with the ratings on it. I have to take a look tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Russell Lewis

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tounge weight is hard explain. Bumper to frame is low due to pore mounting bolts to frame and safety. The towing hitch below the bumper is a class 5 hitch it’s a direct connection to the frame no safety involved like a bumper. The max tow is lower then you might think it should be but. It’s based off total weight of the expedition + towed weight. There is math to it. Its based off brake size and weight to stop safely. The newer ones have bigger brake size ( based off the rotor size like a “ big brake kit “ )

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had the same issue on the suspension light after I converted from bags to shocks. Had to take out the instrument cluster and remove thebulb

OP
OP
D

DWhitley

Reaction score
Had the same issue on the suspension light after I converted from bags to shocks. Had to take out the instrument cluster and remove thebulb
I will have to find it again, but came across a thread where there is a connector in the dash where you cut a wire and it kills the light as well. Just don’t remember where and need to hunt. Unless someone else knows off the top of their heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk