Newbie Questions - Considering purchasing a 2015-2017 Expedition..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I paid 34k for my 17 EL XLT with 202a and it had 33k miles and was certified pre owned. The 202a or basic limited models (with no power boards typically) and that carfax shows as fleet or rental were most likely airport shuttles. The more basic cloth interior models are more likely to have been rentals. The 17s you find at the big Ford dealers will all have just shy of 36k miles because they can be easily certified pre owned and still carry some factory warranty. They come from auctions that only large Ford dealers can attend, so if you find an expy at a non Ford dealer it will have higher miles, not be certified and most likely a trade in.

You can "buy up" the certified pre owned warranty as long as you have less than 36k miles. Don't buy it from the dealer directly, you can but the ford ESP warranties online at a steep discount and they are the same your dealer will offer but without the overhead. Since a CPO vehicle will have a 7yr 100k mile power train warranty plus a 12 month 12k mile comprehensive warranty (in addition to any remaining 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 powertrain warranty), I decided not to purchase an additional warranty extension. The CPO warranty has a $100 deductible outside the factory 3/36 and 5/60 warranties, which are zero deductible.

If your tranny blows or you timing chains stretch, or a turbo fails, you'll be out $100 for the repair up to 100k miles. I don't plan on owning mine longer than that so not worried much. Change your oil at the dealer every 5k miles when they run "the works" special service deals for 30 bucks (which includes tire rotation and is notated on a car fax).

shinysideup2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll likely pick up a '17 Limited 4WD CPO with 48k miles for $34k tomorrow. The miles are a bit high, but since this will be our vacation vehicle, I don't mind so much, especially upgrading from a '96 4Runner w/ 316k miles. :) The CPO warranty is nice (7 years / 100k miles powertrain + 12mo/12k comprehensive after CPO purchase).