Newbie with a general question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redphone107

Reaction score
Hello everyone. We recently purchased a 2016 Expedition 2WD with 31K miles. This is my first ecoboost. I have searched for major issues with these trucks and didn't find too many. That's what led me to make the purchase. Is there anything I should be looking for or any major issues with these trucks that need immediate attention. Ours seems to be in great shape, I just wanted input on major problems to keep an eye out for. Thanks!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum Redphone! There aren't really any problems with the current generation of the 3.5 EcoBoost. When I buy a used vehicle particularly one with so few miles, I'd just change the oil so you have definitive starting point and go from there.

Congratulations on your purchase and post a picture so we can admire it. :D

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ONLY bit of info you might want to keep dear to your truck's heart is to try not to put it away right after a really hard run. Since the turbo's use the same oil as the engine, taking a little time to allow it to cool down before shutting it off and cutting off the supply of cooling oil. This is true on any engine after a hard run(so cams and cyl walls don't flash off causing "dry starts") but a little more critical with the turbo's because they run at such high temps normally.

Good luck and congratulations....very nice....'16 w/ <30K!!

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ONLY bit of info you might want to keep dear to your truck's heart is to try not to put it away right after a really hard run. Since the turbo's use the same oil as the engine, taking a little time to allow it to cool down before shutting it off and cutting off the supply of cooling oil. This is true on any engine after a hard run(so cams and cyl walls don't flash off causing "dry starts") but a little more critical with the turbo's because they run at such high temps normally.

jeff

Good advice there and I do this on any engine naturally aspirated or forced induction. It’s better to let them cool off and idle a bit before you kill them.

Last edited:

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

jeff
I do this when I park in the driveway. I let the truck idle while I put the sun shade in my windshield. It usually takes about a minute. I try to do it when I'm going somewhere, but I have to admit that I'm usually in a hurry to get where I'm going to so after I park I probably don't let it run more than about 10-15 seconds.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Powerstrokes aside I don't remember ever hearing this advice since my father taught me to let an engine cool a bit after highway driving probably 60 years ago. I've followed that advice on all my many vehicles over the years and, coincidence or not, never had engine trouble except for my '80 Olds diesel that gobbled two engines in 100,000 miles and a '70 Chrysler that lost an internal oil pump just out of warranty. At least that's my ever weakening memory!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Powerstrokes aside I don't remember ever hearing this advice since my father taught me to let an engine cool a bit after highway driving probably 60 years ago. I've followed that advice on all my many vehicles over the years and, coincidence or not, never had engine trouble except for my '80 Olds diesel that gobbled two engines in 100,000 miles and a '70 Chrysler that lost an internal oil pump just out of warranty. At least that's my ever weakening memory!
I got to drive a 1980 Olds 98 with diesel engine as a loner for a couple of days when my Cutlass was in the shop way back when. That car was such a boat but it was fun to drive. It was the first diesel I ever drove.