Newbie with a general question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get an oil catch can from JMS. It will capture all of the oil vapor from your valve covers before it deposits it on your intake valves. Since the 3.5 Ecoboost uses direct injection, the fuel injector does not wash the intake valves with gasoline keeping them somewhat clean like a plenum injector does. When the oil vapors hit the hot intake valve it burns or cokes on. This coking will eventually cause problems.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get an oil catch can from JMS. It will capture all of the oil vapor from your valve covers before it deposits it on your intake valves. Since the 3.5 Ecoboost uses direct injection, the fuel injector does not wash the intake valves with gasoline keeping them somewhat clean like a plenum injector does. When the oil vapors hit the hot intake valve it burns or cokes on. This coking will eventually cause problems.

For those of you not sure if what Mike is saying can be true....as someone who has built more engines than I've blown up.....yes, it certainly can be with the 1st gen Ecoboost.

The new 2nd gen has an additional Fuel injector to help with this issue among others from what I've read.

jeff

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As was said before in the catch can thread. If you plan on keeping your Expedition and running it into the ground with a couple hundred thousand miles then a catch can is probably a good idea. If you plan on getting rid of it in a few years then its probably not needed. Also nobody knows for sure how the dealer will react to having one if you need to go in for a warranty related service. Either way there is definitely not a negative to having one

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As was said before in the catch can thread. If you plan on keeping your Expedition and running it into the ground with a couple hundred thousand miles then a catch can is probably a good idea. If you plan on getting rid of it in a few years then its probably not needed. Also nobody knows for sure how the dealer will react to having one if you need to go in for a warranty related service. Either way there is definitely not a negative to having one
My service writer said that he thought it would void the warranty because it was messing with the lubrication system. However, he gave me the contact information for the Ford Performance Tech Line 800-367-3788 from 8:30 - 5 Eastern time. He said they might be able to provide an authoritative answer. I have not yet taken the time to call them but if anybody here wants to call them and report back that would be great. I just haven't had the time and I'm not sure I have the right info to not sound like I don't know what I'm talking about.

jdeshong

Reaction score
Hello everyone. We recently purchased a 2016 Expedition 2WD with 31K miles. This is my first ecoboost. I have searched for major issues with these trucks and didn't find too many. That's what led me to make the purchase. Is there anything I should be looking for or any major issues with these trucks that need immediate attention. Ours seems to be in great shape, I just wanted input on major problems to keep an eye out for. Thanks!
I would look at the suspension for leaks before the warranty runs out. I have a 2015 and both rears were leaking with only 42k. Im at 51k now with no warranty and noticed my front left strut is oily around the bottom but not dripping yet and makes a bottoming out clunk when going over a speed bump. The ford shocks & struts are garbage. Love everything else though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

NASCAR Mike

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those of you not sure if what Mike is saying can be true....as someone who has built more engines than I've blown up.....yes, it certainly can be with the 1st gen Ecoboost.

The new 2nd gen has an additional Fuel injector to help with this issue among others from what I've read.

jeff

1st generation meaning up to 2017 models. 2nd generation is the 2018 models.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1st generation meaning up to 2017 models. 2nd generation is the 2018 models.

Correct Mike and from what I've read and talked about with other builders is that the more important issue is that same temperature derived "coking" occurring on the turbo blade tips causing imbalance over the long term thereby in some extreme cases of lowering the overall boost capacity but no one has been showing any real proof....just lots of discussion but like every "preventative" mod, there will always be promoters and detractors. I'm on the fence the can but only because I've got close to 200K on a supercharged engine and it never received the can nor do it's valves look burnt or coked. Static compression is still w/i 1 & 4PSI of stock specs.....says that changing that Mobil 1 0-40W oil often has done some good?

jeff

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Synthetic oil is the only way to keep an engine well running and sludge free. It has a much higher operating temperature than dino oil and doesn't coke nearly as much.

Yea buddy! I call it "cheap insurance" since the delta between dino and good synth per oil change is only is about 12 bucks x 4 times a year= 50 bucks a year...like I said, cheap insurance!