No 4x4 Low Range or indicator light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1997 Expedition XLT (I think) 4x4, 5.4 engine.

When turning the key to the 'on' position, no A4WD, 4x4H, or Low Range indicator lights appear on the dash.

While following the Owner's Guide procedure for 4x4 selection, I have no 4x4L. The first time we tried the mountain path up to the lookout it felt like we had 4x4L although we didn't have a Low Range indicator light on the dash. Now it feels like we might not have A4WD, or 4x4H either... not sure.

When I run the 4x4 selector knob through the positions from 2H, I get A4WD and 4x4 indicator lights on the dash, but no Low Range indicator light.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How are your electrical troubleshooting skills?
Can you read and understand wiring diagrams?
do you have a multi-meter or test light?

I would first start by checking fuses By using a meter or test lamp. Don't just pull fuse and look at them The fuse may look good but you have no way of knowing if it has voltage at the fuse.

Your next step would be to check the selector switch.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can troubleshoot electrical pretty good.
I'm not the best at reading schematics but not the worst.
I just have a test light here... will get back home to my multi-meter in a month or so:)

It's getting later here so I will check the fuses tomorrow AM. I located the fuse boxes earlier. Thanks for getting back. I'll let you know in the morning how it went.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/fuse-testing-101.24587/

Check fuse #17 in the Battery Junction Box (under hood) it should have power at all times

Check fuse #13, #15 and #23 in the Central Junction Box (under dash) 13 and 15 have power at all times
#23 Key needs to be in the run position.

In order to check the selector switch you will ne an Ohm Meter

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/fuse-testing-101.24587/

Check fuse #17 in the Battery Junction Box (under hood) it should have power at all times

Check fuse #13, #15 and #23 in the Central Junction Box (under dash) 13 and 15 have power at all times
#23 Key needs to be in the run position.

In order to check the selector switch you will need an Ohm Meter
What's the easiest way to get the 4x4 selector switch out to test it? Does the dash have to come apart? (See fuse check results in post #7.)

I found this thread that has some more of your help in a similar situation; I was hoping to find the resistance values there (haven't read it closely yet): http://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/2001-eb-trans-or-transfercase.29936/#post-241125
I see you recommend getting a Ford repair manual, and tossing the Chilton. I will do that right off. Is there anywhere to get a Ford manual other than physically at the dealer? I will look online and post what I find.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am sending you a Private message Its now called a conversation but I thought this was a conversation Anyway be on the lookout for it

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuse Test Results

Power network box (under hood)
#17 has power at all times
(as do all the others under there)

Junction box
(under dash)
#13 and #15 have power at all times
#23 has power in 'run position'

Not related:
(#7 console blower, #16 high beams/indicator, #17 heated mirrors, and #21 starter relay, didn't have power in 'run position' and/or with headlight switch on. They will probably have power when the respective circuits are energized.)

Not related:
Engine mini fuse box (under hood)
#3 Audio rear integrated control panel RICP, CD changer, radio, was blown.

Next step will be the 4x4 selection switch.

OP
OP
tinkering

tinkering

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will remove the front dash panel being careful to remove all the screws and not pull too hard. :893Chainsaw-Smilie-
:buffer: :angels25: