No Crank…No Start PLEASE HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GFC-FORD

Reaction score
2011 EL XLT
So, I combed the threads (for hours) and still haven’t come up with a complete solution.

About 4 weeks ago, I noticed when I tried to start the vehicle, it clicked once, nothing for about 2-3 seconds and then it started. Thought maybe it was the starter going out. It got worse to the point that it completely would not start. Turn the key, one click and that was all. I thought it was for sure the starter, went underneath and hit it…nothing. Could hear the click in the starter relay, took it out, inspected, changed with a similar relay, nothing.

Took it to the mechanic (good one I trust and have used before) who figured it was the starter so we changed it (Reman Motocraft). When I got it home, after about an hour…it started doing the same thing. Click, delay and then start. It got worse, and then didn’t start at all (again, no crank). I had it towed to a second mechanic that does SOME electrical work. They checked wires, connections and ultimately determined the starter that was put in had froze (rare but not impossible). They tried to apply direct power to it and nothing. I took it back to original mechanic who replaced it again, no questions asked. After the new new starter, same thing…click, delay and start. He checked the battery and it was not testing well (battery was about 3 1/2 years old). New battery…installed and it started right up, no problem.

Got home and later that evening, click, delay and start. Next day, drove it to an auto electric shop. He had me leave it there overnight so he could mimic the problem. Throughout this experience, the vehicle seemed to do better after it had been running for awhile. Third mechanic called me next day and told me it started right up. He also said that unfortunately, it might have to get worse before he could ultimately determine what was wrong. He also said something interesting that ultimately leads me to posting this on the forum. He said that he stepped on the gas pedal as he started it and it started right up, multiple times

I brought it home and let it sit for awhile. A few hours later, I started it and…click, delay…and then started. Let it sit a few hours more and then went out to start. I STEPPED on the gas pedal and it started right up. For the past two days, every time I stepped on the gas pedal (lightly) and started it at same time, starts like normal.

Combed the forums again and noticed in one forum about a no start mentioning the TPS and a throttle body. The thread mentioned something about the computer thinking the engine had a WOT which told the system not to start. Thus, stepping on the pedal while starting changes that…and it starts.

Sorry for the long read but I’m kind of at a loss.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts, comments or insight. I appreciate it.

Frank