No crank, No start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ceecee73

Reaction score
My car is a 2005 Expedition.When I go to turn the truck on, it's a loss of power. The truck will not start. It was suggested that the GPS system could be the problem. It sounds like the battery is dead, but it's ok. Makes a noise from the starter, but it's fine. The red light from the alarm is blinking normally. This is the third time this has happened. Yesterday, I unplugged the battery for a while and when I plugged it back in and none of this happened. I got a jump start and it worked fine. This morning when I tried to start it, the same problem reoccurred. I couldn't start the truck. When the beeping noise comes on, the truck won't start. Do you think it might be the GPS system. I bought the truck 2 months ago. I only have one transponder key. Any suggestions? Is the GPS tracker causing this? or the PATS system? Should I disable the GPS tracker. Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

In order to troubleshoot electrical issues you will need a digital multi meter and know how to use it.
If you have one, what is the battery voltage read at the battery posts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

ceecee73

Reaction score
Thank you for welcoming me.
HONESTLY, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT A DIGITAL MULTIMETER IS OR HOW TO USE ONE. AS FAR AS BATTERY GOES. NOT SURE EITHER, BUT THE BATTERY IS 8 MONTHS OLD.Ive had 3 mechanics tell me differently.
1- said it's my starter..
2-said it's my battery..
3-said it's the GPS that the dealer might have put in, because of ehat it's doing..
For some reason, I think it has something to do with the PATS system... Which I have no idea if the PATS / or GPS (IF it in fact has one) might be the culprit..
It does make a "blip" sound when I open the key, bbefore turning the truck on. Which then, it does not start.
When I turn the key, it sounds like the battery I'd drained..
If I turn it of then back on, then it sounds like it's the starter (You know the stuttering sound it makes when it is the starter). So if I try I again it goes to nothing at all!!
Lights in dash board come on (check engine, battery, ABS and seatbelt lights).
I'm no expert at anything with vehicles but for some reason I wanna say it has to do with anti theft system..
Last night when it did it again..
I left the key open for about 20 min. and it turned on!! NO JUMPSTART NEEDED!!
PLEASE HELP WITH THIS ISSUE I'M HAVING. MONEY IS EXTREMELY EXTREMELY TIGHT FOR ME, So I don't want to fix here and there and still be something totally different..
Thank you all for your help and suggestions..

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you keep thinking the problem is this or that all you will end up doing is "tossing parts" at the problem. Good luck with that.

Having three different causes tells me the so called "mechanics" don't know what they are doing so don't listen to them. Get the facts - solve the problem.

Google "digital multi meter" for various models and prices. Most decent versions will run over $50, good ones will be around $100 and the razzle dazzle models are in the $100's.

Walmart, Depot and Lowes have decent meters for use on these systems.

First thing to check is the current battery voltage.

The clacking sound from the starter relay is due to low voltage at the relay.