No heat!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 1997 5.4 Expedition back in May. She only has 95,000 miles on her and zero rust. Well, I live in Iowa and it's getting cool at night so I tried the heat. The fan is blowing normal but there is no warmth at all. The vent and A/C work great, just no heat. Since this was a Florida vehicle, the heat has probably never been used so I'm pretty sure the heater core is good to go. I'm thinking something else is wrong. Any ideas?
P.S. I also have a 2000 5.4 Expedition, heat works fine but the A/C doesn't work, lol.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I purchased a 1997 5.4 Expedition back in May. She only has 95,000 miles on her and zero rust. Well, I live in Iowa and it's getting cool at night so I tried the heat. The fan is blowing normal but there is no warmth at all. The vent and A/C work great, just no heat. Since this was a Florida vehicle, the heat has probably never been used so I'm pretty sure the heater core is good to go. I'm thinking something else is wrong. Any ideas?
P.S. I also have a 2000 5.4 Expedition, heat works fine but the A/C doesn't work, lol.

Rather than assuming the heater core is good.

Also being it was "a Florida vehicle, the heat has probably never been used"

Seems like you are doing a lot of assuming.

Take the time to do a little troubleshooting and check to see if the hoses are connected to the water pump and heater core.
If so then check the inlet and outlet hoses to see if they are hot.

OP
OP
K

knewblewkorvett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rather than assuming the heater core is good.

Also being it was "a Florida vehicle, the heat has probably never been used"

Seems like you are doing a lot of assuming.

Take the time to do a little troubleshooting and check to see if the hoses are connected to the water pump and heater core.
If so then check the inlet and outlet hoses to see if they are hot.

Giving you guys an update.
I apparently was doing a lot of assuming.
The heater core was bypassed. Upon hookup, it leaked. Damnit! It cost me a few pennies but now I have a new heater core, blend door, and actuator. I have heat! The plan is not to drive it in the winter but in case my 2000 Expedition goes downhill, I have the 1997 as a backup.
Just the other day my 2000 Expedition's service engine light came on. It seems something is always going wrong with them.