No output to receive error codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacob shedd

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm a new at troubleshooting and went to autozone with my 2000 5.4L expedition to try and receive codes for a engine misfire and lo and behold it didn't register any codes. Also - i have never had a check engine light come on and i know for a fact i have multiple problems. What should be my first step in troubleshooting this problem. My first step i took was locating the corresponding fuse and could not figure out which fuse worked for the device. I am blind with this issue and do not know what the device or circuitry would be. Thank you. - jacob

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Was their scan tool able to communicate with the pcm? Your other post implies it couldn't.
If it can't communicate with the pcm it cannot retrieve any stored codes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jacob shedd

Reaction score
The gentleman at autozone simply stated that he couldn't receive anything from my vehicles connection onto his device and recommended me checking the fuse

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. See the sticky in the electrical section on how to check fuses. I prefer a test light here since it is faster than using a meter.
AZ may have the power distribution diagram online so that you can find the one for the dlc, if not I can load it later today. Make sure all fuses are good at this point - replace only as needed.

I've been in Temple @10 years and have seen a little growth over the years.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum

It should be the fuse for the cig lighter Look in your owners manual for fuse location also if you don't have the owners manual you can download a copy at

owner.ford.com