No power, lights or crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I went on vacation, came back and now I have no power to anything. I took the battery out and charged it, still no door chime, dash lights or crank. Jumped it anyways and same result. I tested voltage at the battery and it's fine, I checked the ground that comes off the battery, the terminals are clean, connections good and battery is a year old. I checked all fuses too.

I'm not the most experienced with electrical but I have a multimeter. Where should I check next? I don't see any way this could be something serious because it was only a week.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check for power in the central junction box on multiple circuits. Ford made a change so that the cjb is powered all the time and no longer uses the mega fuse as in earlier gens.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attached is the power circuit from the 03 expedition The wiring for your 04 is the same

Attachments

• 13-01.pdf
    26.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not getting power to any of the fuses. I also don't get that small spark when I connect the battery anymore. I am getting power to the alternator though.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First remove the cover on the Fuse box and on the left side of the fuse box is where the main power feed from the batter connects Test at that point to a good ground (neg Bat Terminal and see if you have 12 volts

If you have 12 volts then you should have power to the fuses

If you don't have 12 volts then the main feed wire from the battery is open. Disconnect the battery and test that RED lead with an ohm meter

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll do that, I need to get longer leads for the multimeter though because they can't reach the battery and power feed on the fuse box. Stupid question but what is the best way to test for power there? Do you just poke the probe through the harness?

Also, where are the fusible links located on this car?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is no fusible link in that Red line They are in the line that goes to the Alt.

You really don't need to run a ground back to the battery but that is where the best neg side of the battery is You can just find a good solid ground in the fuse box area

The main red wire is connected on the left side of the fuse box Its a spade lug and it should be under a small cover that protects it

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm not getting any power to the spade connector. About 11v at the battery after sitting overnight since I jumped it last.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Re charge the battery
Remove the Red wire from the vehicle and test it Disconnect it from the fuse block and pull it thru the firewall

If you want to try something before removing that red wire I would at least disconnect it from the fuse block and get a length of #10 wire and make a jumper so you can run it from the fuse box back to the POS terminal on the battery

Or if you have a set of jumper cables Very carefully connect one end to the stud at the fuse box and then connect to the battery just make sure the end at the fuse box is only touching the stud

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rule #1 in electrical - do not poke holes in wire insulation.

Voltage at alternator output stud should be the same as battery voltage. Use the alternator case as ground if the ground cable is good.

General rule on pulling wire - if it is a hassle coming out so will it be going back in...

Last edited: