No power, lights or crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
stamp11127, I agree with everything said. How did this cause a battery to drain down to 11 volts? A good battery should have 12.2v - 12.8v. At 11.4, it has given up the ghost. I have seen a starter cable, get weathered and need changing. The bad end was near the starter, on the bottom of engine. My 2000 spent 17 winters in Buffalo, The red 4 gauge, going to the box looks fine.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
stamp11127, I agree with everything said. How did this cause a battery to drain down to 11 volts? A good battery should have 12.2v - 12.8v. At 11.4, it has given up the ghost. I have seen a starter cable, get weathered and need changing. The bad end was near the starter, on the bottom of engine. My 2000 spent 17 winters in Buffalo, The red 4 gauge, going to the box looks fine.

If you go back and read all of the OP posts He stated he had
About 11v at the battery after sitting overnight since I jumped it last. Post #8
Unless we could see the meter he was using its hard to say how accurate it is.

However after that and the OP replaced the cable from the battery to the fuse block the engine started right up which makes me think his meter may not be all that accurate.

And the voltage he was given may have been off

So after he replaced the cable and the engine started right up How would that be possible if as you say At 11.4, it has given up the ghost.

At this point about all we know it the OP's expy wouldn't start or crank over and he had no power to this fuse box After replacing the cable from the battery to the fuse box he had power to he fuses and the engine started right up.

What we still don't know is what was the problem with the original cable as the OP has not yet reported back.

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tomorrow when it stops raining I'll pull the cable and post back.

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Finally got around to it. I can't see any issue with the cable. But it is a much larger gauge than the 8g I used to jump the box. I want to replace it with wire from home depot and save the money, what gauge should I go with? The factory cable looks like 4g..

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It needs to be the same gauge or larger. If it is smaller it becomes a fuseable link, except it may burn instead of just "opening".

OP
OP
2004XLT

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used 2g stranded and some ring connectors from home depot, everything cost $12 total. The original cable was 2g.