No Start if below 10 degrees

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sM319

Reaction score
My 2006 limited will not start if the outside temperature falls below 10 degrees. Will attempt start at 12 degrees with rough idle and a few cranks it will stay running and 15-16 degrees no problem, starts up as should.

Cleaned the throttle body, changed fuel filter, took pcm off and brought in house to warm up, reconnected, again no start.

Only thing I can think of checking is the fuel pressure at the rails, maybe the fuel pump is locking up.

Appreciate any other ideas. I am not all that mechanical so be patient with me.

I did take it in but they said they couldn't figure it out and never charged me. This wasn't at a ford dealership though. But a good shop.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
What's the voltage on your battery terminals when it's -10? Get a volt meter if needed.

Could be frozen fuel line, keep a full tank and allow the fuel pump to prime before starting (wait for the beeping to stop after you put key in ON position)

Though I really suspect your battery is what's failing and this is a common issue in colder climates.

OP
OP
sM319

sM319

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I put a new battery in this summer but will get it checked for voltage.
I put heat in at every tank full. I have primed the pump by turning key on and off several times and still no start.
Didn't start this morning but temperature up to about 15 now and it started right up. :)

Doesn't seem like it's going to drop below 10 degrees tonite and suppose to be in 20's and 30's the rest of the week.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with Habbibie. Get a CCA test at Advance Auto if you have one nearby. If it's low you will struggle to get it started in cold temps or after running the interior lights for a bit with the truck off, but you're unlikely to notice problems otherwise until the battery situation really becomes dire. If it's a new battery and you're having problems, you may also want to check for parasitic draw.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you can get them to replace battery, have them pull battery from back, not front of rack. When I used to manage Oreillys. We load fresh ones, like beer/ milk from the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
This just dawned on me, what's the CCA on your battery? If I'm not mistaken our trucks require A Minimum 850CCA

Cause in Chicago even my brand new Allstate battery (12/16) 850cca has a hard time starting and I was having a horrible time starting in sub zero temperatures with the previous battery which was rated at 750cca

OP
OP
sM319

sM319

Reaction score
Have a 875cc battery in it now and will look into seeing if something is drawing from the battery this weekend.
I will post something next Sunday or Monday.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you notice a difference in cranking speed when the temps are low Or is cranking speed staying the same.

In other words is the cranking speed sluggish

OP
OP
sM319

sM319

Reaction score
Seems strong, just the same.
Someone else drives it in my family and we are not on the same shift schedule so I won't have time to look at it again until Sunday or Monday. Suppose to be above 15 all wk..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360