Not a repair guy looking for help.... so yeah... help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brian K

Reaction score
Okay this sounds like a crazy question here I am posting in a thread with a bunch of car guys and I find myself as "not that guy" I love allllll things FORD,I am not a car repair guy, but I feel like I could really find myself doing some of this work....

A little about my ride... It's a 2007 expedition XLT 4WD.... I bought it 2.5 years ago (from a ford dealer). It had 59K mies on it. The previous owner was obviously a smoker and did not take good care of the interior. There are scratches on the center console and even the gear shift is not smooth shifting along with the cover to the compartment being cracked. The vinyl in the seat is cracked terrible. but overall the leather is in decent shape. The vehicle has a back up sensors and they work great, the last guy must not have used them because the bumper is scratched and even cracked. There is some other issues as well such as paint bubbling on the rear hatch. The rims need to be replaced as well because of the nicks and dents. The drivers passenger rear window is scratched terrible (I think something is in the track).

I have done some mechanical work to the vehicle (the power steering pump and the starter).

In short I am wondering how much of these repairs can I do myself... how much should they cost me? If I farm it out, how much can I expect to pay? I would love to hear from you guys. I feel in my gut she has many many miles left in her and she is worth saving, just dont know how many pennies I need to save up to get these things started!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.
What you need to replace should be available at your local junk yards. Major issue will be matching color which may take some time or expand your search area. Most of what you want to replace is either screwed or bolted on.

OP
OP
Brian K

Brian K

Reaction score
So it sounds like I should be able to do most of it myself? How about upgrades.. for example.. if I am replacing the seats, what about replacing the heating and cooling along with it? What all does that entail?

OP
OP
Brian K

Brian K

Reaction score
Okay is that hard to do? or is the wires there and you just plug and play? IF there is wiring to add how hard is it to do?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It depends on what you consider hard to do, knowledge of electrical wiring and your quality of workmanship.
Best route to take is compare wiring diagrams for the donor and your year. That will determine how much of the harness you will have to add in and where the connections will be.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys, for what it's worth......when I was kicking around the idea of taking a basic XLT and having the dealer add the heated/cooled seats, they told me that the ductwork is already there so all they would have to do is to swap the seats.

This tells me that the electrical plugs should also be there, just waiting for the caps to be removed and the seats to be plugged into them.

As Stamp said, get a wiring diagram for your truck to ensure this before you invest a bunch of money then find there is nowhere to plug them into but I'm pretty sure that if you get a really good light and do some research on your truck, you will find those plugs...they may be tucked under the carpet though so you might have to unbolt one of your seats to find them.....but to me, it would be a couple of hours put to good use to remove and replace your seat to see what you find.

good luck,

jeff

OP
OP
Brian K

Brian K

Reaction score
Jeff, sounds good... I think I may give it a try... I have a local junk yard that has a bunch of stuff... I went on Car-Part.com and there was a bunch of possible stuff there.. I just hate to get to much into.. I also know some guys who do body work..

1ATony

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Welcome to the site

Tony