Not turning over with key

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes the solenoid can cause the fuse to blow BUT also anything else in that circuit can cause the fuse to blow also
Is it fuse #21 that is blowing? Make sure you are using a 15 amp fuse

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Are you low on coolant? You engine could be hydro-locking.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Had you read the OP's first post in which he stated

" I am able to start it by jumping the two bolts on the firewall with the solenoid using a pair of pliers."

You would have know that it isn't hydro-locking

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Had you read the OP's first post in which he stated

" I am able to start it by jumping the two bolts on the firewall with the solenoid using a pair of pliers."

You would have know that it isn't hydro-locking
OK, but by jumping the solenoid, you are by-passing the fuse.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are correct about by-passing the fuse.

The OP is trying to figure out what is blowing the fuse and its not being caused by Hydro-locking since he can stat the engine by jumping the starter contacts

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
You are correct about by-passing the fuse.

The OP is trying to figure out what is blowing the fuse and its not being caused by Hydro-locking since he can stat the engine by jumping the starter contacts
OK, Yes, but why would a 100 amp start fuse blow? I know it is rare, but a stuck injector or leaky head gasket, could just fill one cylinder enough, to pop that fuse. A DC electric motor, can take a massive amount of amps. Jumping the fuse, could discharge the battery, in no time. It is more common in diesel, equipment, like dozers or excavators .

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like the maxi fuse is the one he is popping. Sounds more like the fuse for the control side of the starter relay circuit.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, Yes, but why would a 100 amp start fuse blow? I know it is rare, but a stuck injector or leaky head gasket, could just fill one cylinder enough, to pop that fuse. A DC electric motor, can take a massive amount of amps. Jumping the fuse, could discharge the battery, in no time. It is more common in diesel, equipment, like dozers or excavators .

Take a look in the print of the starting circuit that I posted in this thread and TELL ME where you see a 100 amp start fuse

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max357