OEM Speakers - Which One is Best?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I miss the good ol Dolby 2.0 era

Oh and 12" speakers, whatever the hell happened to using good ol 12" speakers???

Reidski29

Reaction score
Any of those OEM speakers with paper cones suck majorly.

Go to Crutchfield.com and get something decent. Even a relatively cheap 6x8 is going to be better than any OEM.
e.g. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_109STAGE8/JBL-Stage-8602.html?tp=93

I prefer the Infinity Kappa but they're usually around $100 a pair. But that's just me, I like good music and want to hear it as close as it was intended. Not some muddy, distorted version.

I also use the Expedition for long vacations of 10-18 hour drives so I think the $ is well spent. That may not be your case...

Alright, I am fairly new to the forum but really want to update my speakers. I have the factory sub but know that the 2013 Expy can sound so much better! If I was to get the infinity or JBL's listed above, is it just a matter of taking the door off and replacing the wiring harness and putting it back together?? I am not looking for anything too complicating and just want to do the front and rear doors. Thanks!

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Polk DB651

If you have tweets in front doors:

Polk DB6501

Excellent upgrade at affordable price. Check Ebay, you can get package sets for less than $90 shipped.

They are 6.5” round but you can either make a “plate” (1/8” plastic, thin mdf, 1/4” plywood, just about anything) to mount them, your homemade plate just has to cover the 6x8 hole and 2 of the mounting screws go right into the speaker mount so it won’t fall out. Or buy a set, they are cheap.

If you don’t want to go through all that hassle,
Polk DB572. Not as great bass as the 6.5, but overall very clear and loud.

ETA: I really like the Polks for several reasons. First; they sound very good. Second; they are marine rated, meaning they can be used on a boat and have better build quality to hold up in that environment, means they will last a long time and not be affected by the temp/moisture the inside of your doors see. Third; they are pretty affordable and actually honor warranty claims.

Last edited:

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
But if I could actually get something that sounds better and total cost for front and rear doors was $100-150 that would be extremely worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Coaxial-Audio-Speakers-DB572/dp/B01G4EDRUK

Look at the “Frequently bought together” advertisement for the wiring adapters. Literally you pop off door panel, unscrew old speaker, disconnect it, connect adapter, connect to newspeaker, screw new speaker in, reinstall door panel. Entire vehicle done in less than 2 hours (including beer and potty breaks).

Last edited: