Off Topic- Heat from LED lights question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Long story first....

A week or so ago, I stated one of the reasons that I prefer LED lighting to halogen bulbs. I noted that while halogen bulbs tend to be very inefficient turning a large percentage of the power into heat energy instead of light energy. Now I find myself wondering if I need to backtrack a little.

I have one of those great big rechargeable flashlights that uses a large 60 watt halogen bulb(same size as our headlights are). It works great and according to the manufacturer, it will throw out over 1100 lumens but my complaint about it has always been the short 15-20 minute use time before it needs to be recharged, even when new. This wasn't a surprise as the manufacturer clearly stated this before I bought it.

So anyway, I decide to see what's out there that uses LED bulbs. I already have a half dozen of those little triple AAA battery types and they are fine for a dollar but I wanted a bigger one that I can use in ambient lighting and it will still light things up.

I thought that the run time should be greatly increased since LEDs are much more efficient. I found & bought a kickass flashlight that contains 10 -XML T6 led bulbs. It's powered by four 3.7Volt #18650 lithium batteries( if you took a AAA battery and lay it next to a AA battery, then lay one of these...this would be like the next size up from the AA....11/16" x 2-5/8"). The entire light is approx. 6" tall by 2" diameter, made of 6010 aluminum and weighs about a pound or so and according to the manufacturer, it will throw out over 30,000 lumens! This thing is really every bit as bright as one of my headlights! Holy crap!

I charged up the four batteries then turned on the light to measure how long it would stay lit. After 45 minutes, it was still nice and bright, not full power but a nice solid increase in run time.

THEN I went to pick it up and it was HOT! Not quite too hot to handle but darn close. I was really surprised that it produced so much heat. Put another way.....if you were out in the cold weather and didn't have any hand warmers to slip into your gloves....this thing would hook you up for hours.

Now to the point finally....was I wrong about the heat potential of LED's or is the heat being generated by the circuitry inside the light?

jeff

LED light.jpg

Reaction score
your running 10 led at once...try that with regular bulbs packed that close together and you probably cant touch the housing at all. thats probably pretty normal.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
LEDs have heatsinks normally built into the housing. They don't always run as hot as a normal bulb but can get pretty warm.

cman1120

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tom is right, I got some LED flashlights that are super high lumen and even they do get warm after running for awhile.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The heat is a byproduct of the current flow in each led. That is also the reason they used aluminum in its construction, it acts as a heat sink.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I ran it again last night for an extended period & the lens cover was rather cool to the touch while the housing surrounding the drivers was very warm. I guess a bit of investigation on my part would have answered my own question<LOL>.

I bought it off fleabay here:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=Rechargeable+SKYRAY+30000LM&_sop=15

Mine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/32235809705...49&var=511280387479&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

The package I bought included 4 batteries & two chargers so all four batteries can be charged at once. Around 38-39 bucks delivered.

I also noticed that several other sellers appear to sell the same item but claim anywhere from 20,000 lumens up to 32,000.....so take that 30K claim with a grain of salt. It is very bright though and fits into the small glove compartment of my new truck.

jeff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hsquared360