Oil Burning, Replacing a Quart Every 1-2 weeks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoos95

Reaction score
My dad has a 2007 EL with over 275K miles. Every 1-2 weeks he has to put a quart of oil into the engine since it's low each time he checks it.

Any idea what could be causing this problem and how to resolve it?

Thank you!

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dad has a 2007 EL with over 275K miles. Every 1-2 weeks he has to put a quart of oil into the engine since it's low each time he checks it.

Any idea what could be causing this problem and how to resolve it?

Thank you!

Start with the simple first. Check for the simple leaks and fix them if found. Replace the PCV. If the simple doesn't solve the problem then it could be worn valve guides, valve seals, piston rings, front seal or rear seal. With 275K it's probably all the above.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea 275k is a great run, you can get more out of it but as stated above it might take some $$$ if it is worn piston rings/ valve seals. But id totally agree to check simple first it could be easy. 1 quart a week is some heavy consumption so if its a leak it's prob dripping good, and it it's burning it, the exhaust would probably show signs of burning oil. Any smoke or strange oily smell?

Edit: I'm stupid it says right in the title it's burning oil. So yea PCV first then the scary later.

Last edited:

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would follow Chrisolfdoc advice. Fix obvious leaks,etc but I wouldn't put money into repairing the engine. It will get very expensive. How many miles is it driven before you add the oil?

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the tailpipe for oily residue around the inside. That's a sign that an engine is burning oil.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly, after 275K miles, your engine is wearing out. I assume your Dad's Expy has had one owner and meticulously maintained with regular oil changes. These engines are excellent if you maintain them properly. But there is a limit. Metal fatigue is a real consequence of use. I owned a 1995 (or 1996) F150 that was the first roll-out of the 4.6 overhead cam V8 produced by Ford. It was a basic model, manual trans and no upgrades. This vehicle lasted through rough off-road use and two daughters learning to drive stick shift. After 2 slave cylinder changes, two clutches, replaced transmission and cracked manifolds I figured it was time to replace after a quarter million miles. The engine was still strong, but hard to justify continued maintenance of the vehicle. Like retiring your trusty steed after a successful life, it was difficult to do, but a necessity for family safety.

Whatever your choice you make, it will be the right choice. There is no wrong choice!!

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '06 was purchased at 130,000 and was a fleet vehicle with one asigned driver. It went through a quart of oil every 4-500 miles and I put another 100,000 on it and sold it at 230,000. The third owner loves the truck! Feeding it oil and gas was just a normal process for it.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the old days they use to call this fill the oil and check the gas. LOL

How many people remember when the gas station attendants actually checked your oil?

That was back when you didn't need a Bachelors degree in Hide-Go-Seek to find the darn dipstick.

Look on the bright side....you'll never have to change the oil again.