oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Originally posted by smo0othride
Thanks for the info... it's good to have an explanation of why they're not good, rather then just somebody saying it.

My pleasure.:)

G

Originally posted by 66horse
Thanks for posting that link. When I posted the other day, I didn't have time look it up.

Also, here is a good article on sythetic oils.

Synthetic Oils

Interesting info.
Thanks!

DAMN_FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The main reason to change your oil is to clean your engine. The oil contains fine wear particles that the filter doesn't pick up. Changing the oil gets rid of these particles, sludge and other harmful engine contaminates. The integrety of the oil outlasts its cleanliness. I change the oil when it starts to get black. This has been happening from 3-4k miles.

I use full synthetic because it reduces the time to get full oil pressure on start up. That's where most of the engine wear occurs. This is especially critical in colder climates.

Stock Ford Expedition oil (5W-20) is a synthetic blend.

Make sure your oil filter has the silicone valve that prevents drain back. Motorcraft oil filters have this. Walmart sells them and they are cheap.

That's my 2 cents.

Last edited:

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm much younger than most (20's) and only remember the 5k or 6k being printed in the owner's manuals. I just read all 3 of my cars manuals and they are all in that range, with the only exception being in "dusty conditions or frequent towing at 3K". I think the 3k is a ploy by the oil companies to increase business.

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3K oil change primarily pertains to fleet or what they call "rough service". Rough service is defined as stop and start driving in city traffic.
Oils have a tendancy of taking on minute traces of water from condensation and this breaks the oil down into acids that can be harmful to the engine.
I have rebuilt many a motor and I will swear by synthetics. You can immediatly tell if someone ran a synthetic oil through the life of their motor vs. traditional oils. The internals look as if they are brand new and not all brown.
Ask any engine builder and they will tell you. Use synthetic oil early on and it will extend the life of your motor.
A word of warning though. Use synthetic oil EARLY. This will help "season your seals in the engine. If you wait to long then the tendancy for leaks are more possible. This is due to the seals drying and synthetics having better lubricity. TIFWIW.

G

Today's oils are far superior to the older oils and can easily deal with 5000 mile changes.
3000 miles is nothing on todays oil.
That being said I still like using synthetic oil and I change it twice a year.I only do 8500 miles a year but still would do the same change interval even at 12000 or more a year with synthetic oil.