Oil filter adaptor gasket replacement question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Home depot o-rings

They worked on the leaks and are still holding.

Note:
Anyone attempting to covert to a relocation adapter or changing the gasket. Make sure you check for leaks between the block and the adapter. I had a very small trickle on mine. I bought a gasket kit and the one that came in it leaked. I removed checked for defects reinstalled and it still leaked. Bought an OEM from Ford dealer no leaks no more.

Last edited:

meier3283

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have a 2005 Expy E/B. I've just replaced the oil filter gasket, and afterwards did an oil change, since I had the filter off already.

To the point... I found water under my oil filler cap. I was not expecting that.

Sure, I see how the two could have gotten contaminated, but how in the world did it condensate to the cap in just a few hours??

I am now faced with what to do. Since I just drained the oil, should I just filler up and monitor? Or, is there some flushing procedure I should follow?

jdpoissa

Reaction score
Hey folks, I need to change my Oil Filter Adapter but it is between the motor mount and the block. What steps did you take to raise the motor? I have an Expedition, RWD, 1999, 5.4 Liter.

juan214

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Where is the oil filter on the block or behind the bumper?
Dumb Question, why are we changing the adapter?

On mine, it is in the front if remember correctly no need to lift the engine.

jdpoissa

Reaction score
Where is the oil filter on the block or behind the bumper?
Dumb Question, why are we changing the adapter?

On mine, it is in the front if remember correctly no need to lift the engine.

Hello, thanks for the response. The oil filter adapter has a leaking gasket. I need to install a new one. It is in the front, and it is position between the motor mount and the engine block.

jdpoissa

Reaction score
Drokmofo - can you tell me if you needed to lift the engine to get this done? What is the best way if so? Thank you.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No need to lift engine. Remove driver's front wheel to access 2 of the bolts with extensions and maybe a swivel.

jdpoissa

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Drokmofo - the adapter that is on my Expedition appears to need to have the engine lifted slightly. Have you ever done this with a bottle jack to get it out of the way? I dont want to lift the motor if I dont need to.

Thanks.

drokmofo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didnt need to lift engine on my 07. Design must be a little different on your 99. Maybe post a pic

Did u post in the 1st gen forum?