Oil filter Mounting Gasket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CARO'S98EB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the gasket you are refering to is the oil filter adapter/oil cooler mount. this gasket is between the block and the oil filter adapter and has coolant and oil running through it. it is not real hard but access can be a problem. 5.4 and 4.6s have this smae basic setup[remote mount or not] and they do go bad sometimes.

Silver99Xlt4.6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the gasket you are refering to is the oil filter adapter/oil cooler mount. this gasket is between the block and the oil filter adapter and has coolant and oil running through it. it is not real hard but access can be a problem. 5.4 and 4.6s have this smae basic setup[remote mount or not] and they do go bad sometimes.

Old Thread But Same Issue , I'm leaking at the Oil Filter Adapter mount , Where the block and the Mount meet , While running it has a 20-30 Second Drip from it . Was Wondering if Anybody Had more info on the Removal and Replacement Of this Gasket . I have a 99 Xlt 4x4 4.6 . But my front Drive shaft Is already Removed due to the Previous owner , Any Help or Links Are Much Appreciated ! .

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil Filter Adapter —4x4
Removal

Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
Remove the lower radiator hose (8286). For additional information, refer to Section 303-03 .
Remove the front drive axle assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 205-03 .
Remove the drain plug and drain the engine oil.

If the vehicle does have an oil cooler, remove the oil cooler. For additional information, refer to Oil Cooler in this section.
Disconnect the oil pressure sender electrical connector.

Remove the four bolts and the oil filter adapter.

Installation

Install a new oil filter adapter gasket (6840).

Position the oil filter adapter and install the four bolts.
Install a new oil filter adapter gasket.
Connect the oil pressure sender electrical connector.

If the vehicle is equipped with an oil cooler, install the oil cooler. For additional information, refer to Oil Cooler in this section.
Install the drain plug.

Install the front drive axle assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 205-03 .
Install the lower radiator hose. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03 .
Lower the vehicle.
Fill the engine with Super Premium SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G.

Silver99Xlt4.6

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Oil Filter Adapter —4x4
Removal

Raise and support the vehicle. For additional information, refer to Section 100-02 .
Remove the lower radiator hose (8286). For additional information, refer to Section 303-03 .
Remove the front drive axle assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 205-03 .
Remove the drain plug and drain the engine oil.

If the vehicle does have an oil cooler, remove the oil cooler. For additional information, refer to Oil Cooler in this section.
Disconnect the oil pressure sender electrical connector.

Remove the four bolts and the oil filter adapter.

Installation

Install a new oil filter adapter gasket (6840).

Install a new oil filter adapter gasket.
Connect the oil pressure sender electrical connector.

If the vehicle is equipped with an oil cooler, install the oil cooler. For additional information, refer to Oil Cooler in this section.
Install the drain plug.

Install the front drive axle assembly. For additional information, refer to Section 205-03 .
Install the lower radiator hose. For additional information, refer to Section 303-03 .
Lower the vehicle.
Fill the engine with Super Premium SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil XO-5W30-QSP or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G.

Thanks Stamp . Looks like I will be trying to fix this when the weather allows me to .

Mr.THC

Reaction score
Message for Paul

i have the same problem with my 98 expedition also a 4.6, i worked at cavenaugh ford so i took it there and asked a friend of mine that's a master mechanic, about how to fix the prob he told me you have to take the motor mount on the driver side then pick up about 3 or 4 in. enought to get the oil cooler out then clean the surface where your new gasket is going. Then just throw your new one on throw the bolts back on lower the engine back to the mount. bolt it back and here u go. P.S btw for the motor mount its only the long bolt going threw the center of mount is the only one u need to take out. hope this helps u out. im actually fixing mine this weekend if u would like i can make a video if u would like on this fix?

Mr.THC

Reaction score
for paul

btw if u do decide to do this u might think about doing the oil pan gasket as well depending on how long its been since had changed, i say this because u have to change the oil pan gasket the same as oil filter gasket :( save u time and money