Oil Pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
My 2000 Expy with the 5.4l was having oil pressure drops. I took out the pan and discovered the pickup screen to have build-up (apparently not all oils are created equal).

Anyway, I decided to peak into the oil pump and removed the hex nut. As I pulled it apart, the spring launched, I closed my eyes, and the spring and relief valve shot out.

1. I assume that is all there was in that spot.
2. I assume the proper way to reinstall is the put the relief valve in first, with the open holes towards the top, then put the spring in, and put the hex nut back on.
3. Anyone know of a diagram anywhere?

Thanks in advance!!

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the spring shoot out and the valve just fall out? Otherwise the valve might of been pushed out by the spring putting that in last. I can check some manuals if nobody else has an idea.

OP
OP
J
Reaction score
As it was coming out and oii was coming in my face.... I closed my eyes. I do not know. I opened them to find the pieces lying in a pool of oil.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Checked and couldn't find a diagram, sry.
I'd say valve in first with the holes up on the opposite side of the spring. Then spring. Try and keep the nut around the same area or you'll throw out your pressure.

Last edited: