OK- I hate to do this. But I gotta get better headlights in my 2009 EXP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If i were to buy the spyder units I’d get the chrome ones, during the day they look very close to stock. Its just at night they look different, i also like the LED strips. But again if the output is crap id rather spend that money on a good projector retrofit.
73FDB141-5EE0-4532-A1A7-84CA4A89FA0B.png

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Retros work and cost less than $400 if you do the work yourself. Get a threaded shaft projector and it's easy stuff!

What projector would you recommend for the job and who did you purchase from when you did yours? Im not much of a headlight expert

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
There's so many options it'll make your head spin. If you looking for ease of install look at the mini H1 7.0 or Acme Super. All are Bi-Xenon so it'll be high and low beam. These are both threaded shaft so basically open up the 9007 bulb hole a little and they'll drop right in. You'll just have to trim the shroud to fit correctly in the reflector bowl. There are tons of other options and prices go up and so does the labor time. These are just the 2 easiest with great output.

I order from either Theretrofitsource.com
Or lightwerkz.net

Both places have big sales this weekend
Lightwerkz is 25% off everything
TRS is 10-25% depending on how much you spend.

I went with the mini h1 and spent just over $300. Took me about 4-5 hours to install and the lighting is 10x better

OP
OP

2009expdude

Reaction score
Thanks- I think I just have reflectors. I tried the morimoto 9008/H13 kit & ballast and all that BS- won't waste that money again- already did the retrofit source for that attempt. I don't know what I'm doing and don't have the time, so I definitely just want to go plug&play with the whole headlight- not individual pieces. With that being said, what site sells the complete package where I don't have to go into replacing the bulbs, but I can just unscrew the entire assembly and swap in a new assembly?

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks- I think I just have reflectors. I tried the morimoto 9008/H13 kit & ballast and all that BS- won't waste that money again- already did the retrofit source for that attempt. I don't know what I'm doing and don't have the time, so I definitely just want to go plug&play with the whole headlight- not individual pieces. With that being said, what site sells the complete package where I don't have to go into replacing the bulbs, but I can just unscrew the entire assembly and swap in a new assembly?
Lots of options on eBay. Most people are going to say these are junk and they probably are compared to a retrofit with high end components but in your situation this should get you better light than you currently have. I did a search on eBay for 2009 Ford Expedition projector headlights and this is what I turned up:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...ford+expedition+projector+headlights&_sacat=0

Most of these are made in China, most are designed for halogens but you can make HIDs work but it can affect the life of the assembly, but that is one of the gambles you have to make with these kinds of upgrades.

These are probably made by the same companies as the one on eBay but just with a different brand name. But at least you have some options.

https://www.carid.com/2009-ford-expedition-headlights/

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are no complete headlight + HID preassembled kits

1111ExpyEL1111

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Retrofitting an 07 Expy? C'mon! Pay ME to retrofit my 12 Expy with projectors and I'll do it. You guys that say a projector retrofit is the ONLY way to go crack me up (somebody has to say it). A properly aimed reflector w/HID's is just fine. I do not have issues with oncoming drivers flashing me as I took the time to properly aim them.

I've got 55W 5000K HID's in both my hi/lows as well as my foglights. I have my foglights wired to stay on when my hibeams are on. On a dark country road they are awesome!

Let the flaming begin!

Allen Miller

Reaction score
I bought this set of projectors for my explorer. I haven't gotten to install them yet, but they were pretty well recommended outside of amazon's reviews. I've used other iJDMToy products before and they seem to be pretty good quality.

I'm also going to be installing these LEDs that were designed for use in projectors. If they don't perform well, I'll get a full HID kit, but this was the cheapest plug-and-play solution.

This is what I feel like around here

View attachment 22364

This is actually the owner of bullseye retrofits
Bwahaha, preach brother!
You guys that say a projector retrofit is the ONLY way to go crack me up (somebody has to say it). A properly aimed reflector w/HID's is just fine.
Let the flaming begin!

Ok, so you're one of the possibly dozen people that took the time to properly aim their HID-in-reflector setups. Congratulations.

The raw light output is not the only issue there. You're losing a lot of the effective beam of the HID to ground that you can't see through the hood (though it's still an improvement over stock halogens, I'm sure). The projectors with the cutoff allow you to put the most effective light further away from you, while providing the cutoff that doesn't blind other drivers. Also, once you aim the housing low enough to not be a ******* to other drivers with your lowbeams, you've effectively lost your highbeams since they are in the same housing and now aimed a ton lower than stock. A projector retrofit lets you keep the stock high-beam aim point.