OK- I hate to do this. But I gotta get better headlights in my 2009 EXP

Discussion in '3rd Gen - 2007 - 2017' started by 2009expdude, Nov 22, 2017.

1. ExpeditionAndy

ExpeditionAndy Supporting Member Supporting Member

I know what you were trying to say. I think you just mixed up dilated and contracted. :cool::oops::):biggrin:

Muddy Bean and gixer2000 like this.
  2. Adieu

Adieu Full Access Members

Except that you CAN buy a real Osram or Philips "kit", just buy 2 ballasts 2 bulbs... though yeah you might need an assembly or retrofit housing that'll accomodate the bulb

As to bulbs vs. stock bixenon, today there's even LEDs that pump more actual visible light output than an Osram bixenon D1S

And hey if you dont like off the shelf bulbs in housings they werent necessaruly specifically designed for, buy a sealed LED projector assembly for your fogs.

Besides the $200ish Morimoto unit and the $300ish JW Speaker one (both officially sold as F150 units but should fit), there's also a quite passable $50-something Chinese unit featuring a repurposed 4" Harley/Jeep assembly in a 4.5" adapter that fits F150/Ranger/Expedition fog light mounts:

2017-11-30 05.35.07.jpg

The amount of light these things pump out is no joke (although some of the other Harley sets that won't mount up without extensive fabrication are even more effective)

A good LED projector switchback bulb in your front turn signal/DRL + a projector foglight assembly together can give you comparable illumination to an HID kit without ever touching your halogen headlights if you really dont wanna

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  3. 34Ford

34Ford Full Access Members

Andy, did you also get the power relay harness, or did you stay with the oem wiring?

https://www.xenonhids.com/dual-beam-hi-lo-h13-9008-full-xenon-hid-conversion-kit.html?i=Y5159W

4. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Elite Member

I get “night blinded” by all these new LEDs the manufactures put out I could care less if I’m blinding them back tbh. The new Acura’s and Mercedes are absolutely ridiculous and I have to look away from the road when they are oncoming. IMO their light sucks as well, most vehicles I drive with LEDs suck night driving. My stock halogens put most of these newer vehicles with LED lights to shame, I can see way better in my truck. Drive in the rain and watch the white light disappear while the yellow halogen light still illuminates on, the LEDs are a white unfocused light that just projects everywhere.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    Shinerbokdoc likes this.
  5. gixer2000

gixer2000 Full Access Members

It's pretty typical for oem lighting to suck and even a high end car always needs improvement. Leds are getting better but still a long way away

6. limitedex

limitedex Full Access Members

Here's what I have. eBay.

IMG_3382.JPG

IMG_3383.JPG

7. deweysmith

deweysmith Full Access Members

I'd like to see those turned on.

JExpedition07 likes this.
  8. Allen Miller

Allen Miller Active Member

IMO, GM is the absolute worst out there by far, followed by Honda/Acura. Everyone else is hit-or-miss by the various models... I think Lexus/Toyota and Tesla have the best LED lights.

That's just my opinion... I'm not sure what IIHS says about them, but I know they just recently started rating headlights.

9. JExpedition07

JExpedition07 Elite Member

The worst headlights I’ve ever experienced have been BMW.

10. gixer2000

gixer2000 Full Access Members

Honestly the tesla is still sub par. lexus is typically where it's at as far as hid projectors goes. The 2010+ Lexus RX350 is still one of the best projectors to ever hit the market Once tuned properly with a clear lens. Unfortunately All oem led are still way behind oem hid projector but they look great