On the hunt in Metro Detroit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KCCO_SHADE

Reaction score
Currently looking for a 2nd gen in Metro Detroit, so I'm sure I'll be annoying you all w/ questions while I'm shopping and probably for a good while after I get one. Lol

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Second gens look nice for reasonable money

Beware of loudly ticking engines and unextractable plugs that might need changing. Inspect engine for coolant leaks. Pay attention to how well the tranny shifts.

All other stuff should be pretty simple and easy to fix.

Do NOT pass up a perfectly good truck if its A/C makes a big clicking sound or some but not all of the zones refuse to change temperature --- its a totally routine penny part fix ($10 - 50 depending on if you order the replacement gear or the whole actuator) that inevitably happens to everyone, and NOT at all an indication of major HVAC problems... however OF COURSE feel free to raise a massive fuss about it for haggling purposes, just realize its actually a totally minor thing

Last edited:

Allen Miller

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy anything older than 5years from SE michigan. Way too much rust for my preference.

Keep on the lookout though, you might find one that's not a total rustbucket with a reasonable price. I'm having enough trouble here in SE Indiana.

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
oh I dont know about that

I have lived in SE Michigan all my life and have no problems finding nice older vehicles. I just bought an 08 EB in March and its super clean

Just gotta keep looking. Some people take care of them, some dont

I will keep any eye out, my next door neighbor has a nice one but I dont think he is looking to sell

OP
OP
K

KCCO_SHADE

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy anything older than 5years from SE michigan. Way too much rust for my preference.

Keep on the lookout though, you might find one that's not a total rustbucket with a reasonable price. I'm having enough trouble here in SE Indiana.

It's funny, because some of the cleanest ones I've seen have really high mileage (200k+) and the ones with under 100k are beat to hell... I'm sure I'll find something, whether it be an Expedition or not, soon enough

OP
OP
K

KCCO_SHADE

Reaction score
oh I dont know about that

I have lived in SE Michigan all my life and have no problems finding nice older vehicles. I just bought an 08 EB in March and its super clean

Just gotta keep looking. Some people take care of them, some dont

I will keep any eye out, my next door neighbor has a nice one but I dont think he is looking to sell

Thanks Brian! I'm downriver, but work in Livonia. I drive truck, so I'm always trying to gaze any lot when I pass it. lol. Possibly going to look at a couple 06 EB's in Waterford tomorrow

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 03 and 04 has the 2v engine Plugs are not a problem The 05 and 06 is the 3v engine Those are the ones where the plugs brake

Also another problem with the 05 and 06 is with the fuel pump drivers module failing due to corrosion The 03 and 04 do not have a FPDM however the fuel pump relay is part of the fuse box circuit board has been a known problem.

Allen Miller

Reaction score
It's funny, because some of the cleanest ones I've seen have really high mileage (200k+) and the ones with under 100k are beat to hell... I'm sure I'll find something, whether it be an Expedition or not, soon enough
I"m not saying you can't find good ones in any market... and maybe SEMI is a good place to look for older vehicles cuz the bad ones fell apart years ago, lol.

I hear you on the high mileage ones. I was shopping for these for my brother back in July, and the best one I found was a 2-owner 2003 EB with 204K on it, and it was nigh immaculate. I looked at an 07 with 110K and unreported flood damage (or else it was driven regularly on an ocean beach), that was probably the worst...