One solution for Trailer Connected / Disconnected message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tradman2018

Reaction score
Several months ago, this forum became invaluable for me and my family when I found a solution to an issue. That was in my 2018 Expedition Limited, I left the house on the way to dinner one evening and each time I pulled off from a stop, I got "Trailer Disconnected" and each time I stopped, I got "Trailer Connected". Many places said to go to the dealer and have a check and might have to replace a module or the plug receptacle or something else, but there was one resource that was my first attempt and it worked fantastically. I cannot find that thread now, but I wanted to post this in hopes to A) help others and B) give a shoutout to whoever had the solution posted (but I can no longer find).

So, the fix for me was listed as and proven to be an issue with dirt caked up over the little side panel radar modules that is located aft of each rear tire, and that are located on the inside of the rear bumper cover and oriented inline with each tire. It's a little square area and is black. Over time, the unit had dirt and mud cake up on it and apparently it reached a level of build up that confused the system. All I did was crawl under the rear bumper, find the little module (there is one on each side under the rear end aft of each tire mounted on the inside of the bumper cover side panel) and spray it off with a squirt bottle. Once the mud/dirt was gone, I did a test drive around the block and confirmed it was fixed. I was elated. I wish I could find the original post to thank the person that posted it, but I cannot find it.

I hope that this is helpful to others!