Ordering Max

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edizzle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nothing will increase towing capacity unless you get bigger axels and the tires to match. The load leveling suspension is a huge benefit and IMO hurt the towing ability of the new model tremendously. I'm not sure how you can say the trucks ability to level a load and reduce squat on its own is not a benefit but whatever. There is a video floating around on here of some guys pulling a 5000# horse trailer and the squat on the Expedition is ridiculous. With a 4000# boat in tow you'll be fine, HD tow package or not. My wifes MDX has a higher tow rating then that.

Its not going to change the MPG's that much. Only difference is HD is 3.73 rear and non HD is 3.31. Its been proven on here if you drive it easy you can hang in the 20+ mpg range all day. But with that said if you're looking for good gas mileage the Expedition Max is probably not a good buy
LOL!

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nothing will increase towing capacity unless you get bigger axels and the tires to match. The load leveling suspension is a huge benefit and IMO hurt the towing ability of the new model tremendously. I'm not sure how you can say the trucks ability to level a load and reduce squat on its own is not a benefit but whatever. There is a video floating around on here of some guys pulling a 5000# horse trailer and the squat on the Expedition is ridiculous. With a 4000# boat in tow you'll be fine, HD tow package or not. My wifes MDX has a higher tow rating then that.

Its not going to change the MPG's that much. Only difference is HD is 3.73 rear and non HD is 3.31. Its been proven on here if you drive it easy you can hang in the 20+ mpg range all day. But with that said if you're looking for good gas mileage the Expedition Max is probably not a good buy
I have a 4x4 max and my combined mpg after 1500 miles is around 15.8. Granted I usually drive...spiritedly, but even when I go easy 20mpg is aspirational at best. Two qualifiers: 1) even the manual says not to measure your mileage until after the first 2000 miles, so maybe it'll get better; and 2) it's the platinum with the extra horsepower, so I'm not sure if that affects things.

But as 07xln said, I didn't buy a 400hp battle wagon to save the planet or gas money.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I dnt tow with mines but i would expect it to tow a 4k lb trailer with no issues whatsoever. The sag would probably be a bit disconcerning, but from reviews and the one or two testimonials in the forum, the new expy tows just fine, if not better than expected. As far as mileage goes, without towing, my mpgs are much better now at 2.6k miles, but i still havent been able to crack the mpg sticker numbers. Lifetime avg for my 4x2 swb is 17.4, she avgs about 21 to 22mpg on the hwy, but shes quoted at 24mpg. From what i can tell, you get the best mpg by coasting on hills or stay on flatish roads. If the eco has to spool for anyreason, it starts drinkin. Also, mileage drastically goes down after 70mph, so i usually cc her at 71 or so, i can get about 22 or so out of her that way. 65mph bumps it up to about 23ish. This probably wont help you much, but i do feel that 4x4 wont change the mpgs much and for the max alotta ppl are gettin good mpg for such a big beast.

deweysmith

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Integrated brake controller and pro trailer back assist are well worth the money and any small hit in gas mileage you might take, IMO.

OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't think my current Expedition has the HD towing package. I just talked to the dealer and according to my VIN it has the 3.31 differential. It does fine going over to the Olympic Peninsula from Salt Lake City,across the Snake River plain in hot weather and over the Blue Mountains.

As far as load leveling, it's not clear to me that it significantly changes the weight distribution, right? So it doesn't really change the towing capacity? Don't get me wrong, I'd like to have it, but it not being available isn't a deal breaker. The HD package increases the towing capacity by 3000#, but that appears to be due to radiator and differential, not the axles, tires, etc. Also, there's more to mileage than gear ratios, so I'm hoping that going to 3.73 from 3.31 won't decrease my mileage much. I can see 20+MPG with the 3.31 final drive I have now, and 10th gear is higher than my current OD.

My boat trailer has surge brakes, so the integrated controller is moot. Not sure what the pro back assist does, but I'm pretty proficient at backing up.

OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm chatting with Shannon at Ford right now and she's telling me that load leveling is standard equipment.

gtnator

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm chatting with Shannon at Ford right now and she's telling me that load leveling is standard equipment.

Oh, well, if Shannon says so, then it’s settled, lol. Just kidding.

Good information to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Technically the pre collision alert uses a heads up alert display.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I think you should ask Shannon to double check. If load leveling is standard equipment, Ford has managed to keep that fact well-hidden in all of their brochures and equipment descriptions. Are you sure she is not confusing load leveling with the CCD suspension?