Over heating issues!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fordforall

Reaction score
Hi everyone any help would be appreciated on this topic I have a 2001 Ford Expedition 5.4 liter about a year ago I redid the passenger side head gasket because of a bad exhaust valve no issues since until yesterday my wife took it to work and the code reader said something along the lines of cylinder head temperature protection and violently overheated so I towed it home when I had the chance to look at it started it back up heat goes in and out when you're driving bubbling sound coming from the heater core and when it starts to overheat violently pushes coolant out of the reservoir just trying to get the list of possibilities narrowed down I haven't replace the water pump I got a thermostat for it but with the way it's acting I fear head gasket failure any help would be greatly appreciated

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Head gasket, cracked head, cracked block - any of them can allow combustion games into the cooling system and pulse coolant out of the surge tank. When you replaced the pass head gasket did you check the head and block for warpage?

OP
OP
F

Fordforall

Reaction score
Had head decked by local machine shop, no other leaks or puddles just started out of the blue. The reason i ask is after i had it out today it tryed to overheat so i shut it down and let it cool off for a second turned off the heat and the temp gauge sat in its normal spot but it also started studdering at idle . . . . . . . I really cant afford to sink to much money into this but i hate to lose the old girl.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To confirm head gasket leak, fill up the system with coolant up to the brim but dont cover it. Start the engine. If bubbles appear in the expansion tank on startup, your head gasket is toast.